Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's best when creating DVD?

Default What's best when creating DVD?

Is it best to create a complete DVD and then render - or split the whole into chunks and render - before importing into Sony Architect?

I produce wedding DVDs that last around 60 mins - but they can be split easily into say, Arrivals, Ceremony, Reception, Speeches, First Dance, Extras.
    Colin Steed
    "I want to learn something every day"
    www.whitedovevideos.co.uk

Blog Entries

Completely a matter of preference I think.

I usually render as chunks. From a quality pov, it doesn't make a jot of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Completely a matter of preference I think.

I usually render as chunks. From a quality pov, it doesn't make a jot of difference.
    Thanks Andy. I thought that was the case but had in the back of my mind that when importing to Architect it may compress the files, which would affect quality. So presumably architect simply 'points to' the rendered files then?
    Colin Steed

Blog Entries

I always render out the complete project as AVI's, then re-render to MPEG2's with AC3 sound within Vegas and then import to DVDa. There's no work for DVDa to do then, and DVD creation takes minutes.

Andy,

I'm not certain why you render to AVI and then re-render to MPEG2 and AC3. Why not by-pass the AVI render and instead render direct to MPEG2 and AC3? This should save a lot of time spent on rendering (and might it avoid the risk of some quality loss as well?)

Csteed,

I always render the whole project in one go rather than in separate chunks. The processing power of the PC may be a factor in making any decision about this but it does save on time and makes the transfer to DVDA a little bit easier as you need only drag one MPEG file to the Menu (the AC3 file follows automatically if it has the same file name even though with the different extension). You can also be sure you haven't misssed anything as there is no risk of overlooking a chunk.

Regards,

Richard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    ...I'm not certain why you render to AVI and then re-render to MPEG2 and AC3. Why not by-pass the AVI render and instead render direct to MPEG2 and AC3? This should save a lot of time spent on rendering (and might it avoid the risk of some quality loss as well?).....
    For me it's just a workflow that I'm comfortable with. A neat and tidy thing.

Many thanks Andy.
    Colin Steed

Many thanks Richard. If you render in one chunk, does DVA therefore pick up the chapter markers?

Colin
    Colin Steed

Blog Entries

(ref: Rendering to avi first)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    For me it's just a workflow that I'm comfortable with. A neat and tidy thing.
    Additionally:

a) You have video of the same compression/format as the source if you decide to edit further later and either no longer have the original footage or the patience to reconstruct everything from it.

b) You have sound (if you've rendered to mpeg2 & ac3 you cannot later reimport the ac3 *** into Vegas - as I discovered last night when I simply wanted to stick a 15 second leader onto a previous mpeg2/ac3 rendered project)

*** unless, of course, someone here knows better and can tell me how

c) It's a doddle to the render to other formats (no need to go back to the original project and do all the heavy work rendering those twenty track composites and FX again)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-23-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Forgot (c) the first time!
    Tim

Colin,

Yes, the markers appear as chapters in DVDA and can be renamed as required. Simply R-click on the square that is dragged to the menu window and select "scene selection" (or some such similar description).

Tim,

Good point(s) but it still means losing time over another render. I suppose you just have to decide how often you are likely to want to alter any projects at a later date and how much space you want to take up on your Hard Drive.

Best Wishes,

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast