Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

Hello. i own a Sony dcr-dvd91e and i am really confused. i have to buy all the time these mini dvds(dvd-r) and i don't know how to write them in a dvd so i can atch my adventures on the tv with a normal dvd player. I only have a cable that connects the camera with the tv. I really don't know how i am going to connect the camera with the pc and edit the movies and the photos. I really need someone to help me. Please tell answer me and guide me with baby steps as i don't know anything.
    P.s: Sorry for my english but i'm from greece
    thank you in advance

Your camcorder has two output options. One is composite (one video and two audio) for connection to a tv or pc input adapter using rca jacks.

The second is a S-Video output that can plug into a tv or vcr or pc capture adapter if it/they have S-Video input. Documentation says you can also go from the camcorder's S-Video out put to a USB input on your PC.

A firewire input probably not necessary on your PC as your video is standard definition quality.

Software should have been included with your camcorder purchase to install on your PC to allow you to do S-Video to USB transfer and do simple editing.

I suggest your video capture settings for for MPEG2 PAL, I guess, based on where you are located.

So, first step is to buy a S-Video to USB cable.
    Plug S-Video into your camcorder and USB into your PC.
    Open software and put in video capture mode. (if you don't have software you can download free trial versions of most well known video editing programs from Pinacle, Adobe and ULead Video Studio)

Be sure camcorder is turned on and in VCR or playback mode and push play button. The software should recognize the input from the camcorder and record your video as a video file to your PC harddrive.

Once you have gotten the hang of transfering your video to your PC successfully then you can open the files in editing software and start learning how to edit your video.

Another good source for software can be your friends. All separately sold PC internal dvd drives/burners come bundled with "free" versions of capture and editing and dvd creation software so maybe a friend has such a disc that you can use for a trial.
    goodluck

Good advice Imjay, but I don't think all manufacturers who sell internal dvd drives/burners include video capture software with them, well not on this side of 'the pond' anyway. They're not that generous.

Blog Entries

Don't mean to rain on your parade imjay, but I fear your post is full of misinformation.

I can't find a link to a manual though so I am happy to be shot down in flames as you've clearly read something about this in some documentation.

But ...my understanding and experience is...

You do NOT capture via USB.

Capture is used for transfering DV-avi from tape NOT mpeg2.

Furthermore 90% of posts from people with tape who have problems capturing their footage are due to them trying to use the USB port instead of the firewire port.

Quite apart from this, I cannot find such a thing as an s-video to USB lead and I'd be extremely surprised if such a beast existed. S-Video is analogue and USB is digital, quite apart from anything else. There are Analogue/Digital video converters available, but these aren't simple leads. This would be retrograde anyway - taking the digital MPEG2 (or similar) from the camcorder - converting it to analogue (in the camera on it's way to the S-video port) then back to digital again (in the converter)

The good news for vanessaki is that she should be able to simply load the mini-DVD into the PC's DVD drive and import her films directly into her video editing program. Im' sure all the programs you've listed allow this. (In Sony Vegas the option is File | Import | DVD Camcorder disc)
    Tim

Dude
    If you're going to talk about someone's "disinformation" you need to have your own house in order before you attempt to disparage.

FYI - easiest way for someone without experience to transfer video from any camcorder to any recording/receiving device is with the tape rolling and a camcorder output used. This person is a BEGINNER.

FYI - the "documentation" I referred to about this camcorder's capability came from manufacturer specs - usually a good source for correct information - Ya think??????

This camcorder has:
    • Connector Type: 1 x microphone 1 x composite video/audio output 1 x S-Video output 1 x USB 1 x DC power input.
    BTW - typical for this type of camcorder.

Re the above spec info I DID mistype - NOT S-Video to USB - USB to USB was intended. My friend, there are ways to suggest someone is in error that are much more appropriate in a forum than being a jerk. Maybe you haven't seen camcorder usb to usb cable - do a google. A traditional USB plug for the PC usb port and a special (but industry standard) plug for the camcorder port.

IN case I wasn't clear there are a variety of relatively inexpensive video capture adapters for analog camcorder output that work perfectly well via usb2 pc port.

Of course, any experienced person knows that you need firewire for good transfer of miniDV. It simply ain't true for analog video transfer - maybe in the past but simply not true today.

This person isn't using a miniDV camcorder. Of course, any experienced person knows that digital to digital is better transfer method that an digital to analog to digital conversion. I've been doing video editing for quite a while.

However it is easier for an inexperienced person to simply plug a cable from their camcorder into their cqpture adapter to transfer their video to their PC. USB to USB with a $6.00 cable is - IMO - best and easiest for a beginner.

In my experience, I have transferred, so far, about 500 hours of analog video from VHS, Betamax, 8mm, Hi-8, Beta industrial and U-matic 3/4 inch with very little loss of VISIBLE image quality from the capture, editing and rendering/dvd creation steps using camera or player analog outputs.

BTW - current technology works quite well via USB2 for capture of analog MPEG2 type quality - tons of manufacturer's products support it.

So far as putting the mini-disc into the PC's dvd drive often those mini-Disc video files are in a finalized file format like .vob. A beginner is not going to find it easy going finding software that will transcode vob to mpeg2. YES, some editing programs have been written to recognize and support mini-Disc analog video files but MANY and specially some a year or two old or less expensive ones DON'T which can make things very confusing for a beginner.

I could have been more careful and thorough in my post - you could have been just a bit less toxic in your post. I have many times offered differering information in this sharing environment WITHOUT telling the other forum member they were full of mis-information.

We are all trying to help each other and talking across to people instead of talking down to them is usually a bit more helpful in a group situation.

If your gonna put someone down and ACT like a SME then please BE a SME.
    regards
    Last edited by imjay; 04-23-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Blog Entries

First off - I humbly apologise. I tried not to offend, but failed.

Quote Originally Posted by imjay View Post
    Dude
    If you're going to talk about someone's "disinformation" you need to have your own house in order before you attempt to disparage.
    Which is why I said right up front I can't find a link to a manual though so I am happy to be shot down in flames as you've clearly read something about this in some documentation.

FYI - easiest way for someone without experience to transfer video from any camcorder to any recording/receiving device is with the tape rolling and a camcorder output used. This person is a BEGINNER.
    Easier than sticking a finalised DVD into the PC and going File | import (or similar)?
    You decide. Works for me and always has done

FYI - the "documentation" I referred to about this camcorder's capability came from manufacturer specs - usually a good source for correct information - Ya think??????
    Absolutely. As I stated - I couldn't find a link so was prepared to be corrected - flamed even

Re the above spec info I DID mistype - NOT S-Video to USB - USB to USB was intended.
    And I was to know that how? You actually stated it twice!

So, first step is to buy a S-Video to USB cable.
    Plug S-Video into your camcorder and USB into your PC.

Whether or not the reason was you mistyped it - it is misinformation, true? And this was the whole basis of your solution.
    IN case I wasn't clear there are a variety of relatively inexpensive video capture adapters for analog camcorder output that work perfectly well via usb2 pc port.
    Not only wasn't it clear it wasn't mentioned at all in your instructions.

(Some accurate and possibly useful info skipped here as all to do with using a capture adapter)

Imjay, your corrected method of capturing via analogue out and a capture adapter is a suitable solution. I disagree that it's easier for a beginner than importing a mini DVD, but that's just opinion - I'm not suggesting you're wrong.

What I would say is having to buy yet more kit (a capture adapter - what's a cheap one 100GBP?) and deal with more connections is probably more likely to put a beginner off than being able to load from a mini DVD. I agree about older software being rubbish at, if at all capable of, importing such files but you, yourself were talking about downloading trials - hence current software.

I could have been more careful and thorough in my post - you could have been just a bit less toxic in your post. I have many times offered differering information in this sharing environment WITHOUT telling the other forum member they were full of mis-information. We are all trying to help each other and talking across to people instead of talking down to them is usually a bit more helpful in a group situation.
    Apologies if you found it in the slightest toxic. It was never my intention to attack you in any way and I rather thought I went out of my way to avoid making any personal attack.
    As for misinformation, maybe my "full of" was OTT and that's what's upset you. But you must surely agree that as written, your post was suggesting you could do something which you simply cannot and had vanessaki attempted your solution she would have felt even more frustrated.

If your gonna put someone down and ACT like a SME then please BE a SME.
    regards
    Tell me what an SME is and I'll figure whether I want to try to be one

Anyway I hope you'll accept my apology. If not, well I'll just put it down to experience.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-24-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    But ...my understanding and experience is...

You do NOT capture via USB.
    I'm a beginner at this, so can't comment on the rest of the contents of this discussion - but so far the ONLY way I've been able to capture is via USB. I suspect the firewire port on my computer is defective - I'll need to do something about that. I can't get the computer to recognize the camcorder through it. But it does recognize the camcorder through a USB connection, and I've been able to capture videos that way.

With that in mind - does anyone know if there's a difference in the quality of the capture between USB and firewire? Should I bother trying to get the firewire port working if I can capture via USB?

I'm never going to do well in this thread but what the heck!

Firewire is best input for video capture to a PC and the ONLY way I know of for successful transfer of higher quality video like miniDV but just my personal experience is that lower quality ananog video can be transferred and captured via a USB2 PC input. Capture setting in the US would be mpeg2 720X480 of if for PAL mpeg2 720X576 for highest quality standard definition mpeg.

Many manufacturers make video capture devices/adapters that will accept composite or camcorder usb output and transport it to the PC via a usb2 input port. Seem to work okay.

I have captured old analog video via usb as mpeg2 and via firewire as .avi and at the end of the editing, rendering and dvd conversion of it all to .vob I don't see any qualitative difference on my tv screen. Someone else may have sharper sight and disagree.

I have to confess that while I have done the above playing around I always connect my source output - composite or component or miniDV to a external dongle of a video capture card in an expansion slot of my PC so I do not regularly use a PC firewire. The video card always does an outstanding job of capture.

Summary is that manufacturers make capture devices that use usb2 input and successfully capture lower quality analog video. In general, firewire is the way to go and the only way to go for miniDV.
    goodluck

Summary is that manufacturers make capture devices that use usb2 input and successfully capture lower quality analog video. In general, firewire is the way to go and the only way to go for miniDV.
    I haven't tried capturing analog yet. The camcorder I'm using is a Sony miniDV device, and I've been capturing via USB2. However, I'm not thrilled with the quality, even though it's 720x480. The image quality I get playing directly from the camcorder to the TV is sharper than if I capture vis USB2 and burn to a DVD. Not sure if that's a result of the software, the capture, or the file types I'm working with. I'll just have to keep experimenting, and of course haunting this forum looking for ideas and information. As best as I can tell, the IEEE 1394 port on my computer is non-functioning, so I'm planning on adding a card and trying firewire that way.
    Last edited by Bill S; 05-04-2008 at 12:15 AM.

From my experience I guess I haven't been clear so I'll give it another go.

1. MiniDV requires firewire connection to the PC. USB2 just can't handle high image video quality capture.

2. MiniDV will not look its' best if capture settings are mpeg2 720X480. Capture setting should be DV and a .avi HUGE file will be created with the miniDV quality you would want.

There are different opinions about analog and other lower quality video.

As already posted, I see not a visual improvement when I create a standard definition dvd whether I capture via usb2 or firewire old analog tape home movies.

Smarter people or maybe with better eyes than mine could be disagreeing with that.

My opinion is: miniDV must capture via firewire (or a dedicated video capture card) and as a DV .avi file. Lower quality video camcorder files can be successfully captured via usb2 as mpeg2.

You can capture ALL types of camcorder video via firewire so why not if you have it? If capturing analog video via firewire your capture setting file type can still be mpeg2 720X480.

Hope all are having a great weekend! Hope I'm on track here!