Thread: Editing HD and DV together

Default Editing HD and DV together

I am working into a bit of a problem.

I am curious if it is possible to edit both DV footage along with HD footage and get all of the video into the same aspect ratio.

As of right now, the best I can do is get black bars that do not match in size.

I would like to get the HD footage cut into DV size so that I can avoid the black bars and avoid stretching the DV footage.

Can anyone offer any help?

Oh, by the way, I'm using Vegas 7 Professional. Thanks.

never faced this situation but Im thinking rerender the hd footage in vegas into a video that has the same aspect as your dv, because when you render files, you have the ability to change aspects of the output etc.
    -Sean
    http://www.Sean-Nelson.com
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard
    2 x 24 Inch wide screen LCD Monitor + 30 inch tv.
    TBs and TBs of Storage+ SSD

By re-render do you mean rendering from the HD card/camera?

I believe the footage has already been erased. All I have are the .tod files that I imported straight into Vegas 7.

Going over this more I believe what I need is a way to enlarge the HD footage so that it fits into the DV sized box.

Obviously, I would lose some data on the sides, top and bottom, but that's pretty much how it's done when a film is modified for television.

Surely, Vegas has to have an option to allow this.

Blog Entries

Project properties - DV

Put hdv footage on time line - dont edit anything yet - far right of media on time line, see 2 icons, right click on top icon, slects pan/ crop tool - drag outline to crop to dv size.

When you cut / paste from this the pan /crop info will be passed on with the new clip.

Thats how I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Project properties - DV

Put hdv footage on time line - dont edit anything yet - far right of media on time line, see 2 icons, right click on top icon, slects pan/ crop tool - drag outline to crop to dv size.

When you cut / paste from this the pan /crop info will be passed on with the new clip.

Thats how I would do it.
    Drag outline? That might be what I've been looking for this whole time.

I did mess with the pan/crop tool but found that when I tried resizing the image it would only resize within the box inside the black bars. I wasn't able to expand it outside of the screen.

From what you have written it seems that you are telling me there is a way to resize the outline so that it crops to the dv sized screen. I'll have to keep playing around with this.

I'll look into it tomorrow when I get back to work.

For now all I did was open the page properties to HDV size (I believe that's 1.000). And I added black bars to the DV footage so that the images looked the same. That's my temporary work around since I could, as was suggested earlier, render the project to a specific size.

Blog Entries

Make sure you turn OFF size about centre and keep aspect ratio - little icons on the pan / crop page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Make sure you turn OFF size about centre and keep aspect ratio - little icons on the pan / crop page.
    This work-around seemed to provide the best solution to what I needed to do but it still posed some problems.

No matter the size settings I set I found myself still trying to get the two formats to match. Some options left me with black bars on the sides, while others left me with black bars on the top. Another option forced me to stretch the DV footage.

I pretty much came to a conclusion that took your suggestion and combined it with the cookie cutter add-on. It basically allowed me to keep both formats in their proper aspect ratios while adding black bars to both the top, bottom, and sides.

I lose some data on both formats but it isn't much. I don't think the extra black surrounding the frames will be noticeable enough to distract the viewer. It'll just appear as if the video player had an extra black frame.

This seems to work for me. I appreciate the help.