Thread: adobe premiere pro has NO PROJECT TRIM UTILITY!

Default adobe premiere pro has NO PROJECT TRIM UTILITY!

help! i'm beginning to miss my 6.5...is there a plug-in for this?
    :cry: immediate help would be appreciated.

For those of us not completely familiar wioth version 6.5 can you please remind us what a 'project trim utility' actually does.

The project manager in my copy of Premiere Pro 1.5 has a facility called 'trim' but I can't be sure it's what you're after.

hi! the utility project trim replicates your completed/finished project and creates copies of all the clips you've used (but ONLY THE PARTS YOU USED IN THE PROJECT with a few head/tail frames)...it's good for archiving or editing down documentaries where you usually have miles of footage.

i'm just about to check out pro 1.5, hopefully the trim in the project manager is what i'm after!

I am not aware of such a function in Premiere Pro but it sure is something that could be useful.

DrGonzo

sigh...it really is useful. it beats having to dump everything you need along with what you don't need to tape for archiving. it also can save you precious disk space. just project trim your project (especially handy when on final cut stage), save copies of footage (it auto-trims and saves what you only used) and erase the rest of the footage you've captured. premiere 6 had that too so i was wondering, if there's any adobe premiere tech-person there, why adobe took it out of premiere pro. i like premiere pro and this is the only thing lacking for me...

p.s. conforming the audio to 32-bit ALWAYS takes so long and such an enormous amount of space! the help section said pro would always do that (unless audio is already captured at 32-bit), but is there really no way to disable it?

It seems like Adobe this time figured that disk space is so cheap so why should they bother to make any functions that would save disk space.

You can however find, in your Project window, 'Video usage' and you can delete unused elements from your project. This does not remove the files, just the project references to them. If you want to remove the files you have to look at the file names listed in the project and delete the unused files manually in Explorer but... a project trim function would be very nice.

The audio being 32 bit is because of the effects and I would not recommend to disable it even if it is possible.

DrGonzo

Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    hi! the utility project trim replicates your completed/finished project and creates copies of all the clips you've used (but ONLY THE PARTS YOU USED IN THE PROJECT with a few head/tail frames)...it's good for archiving or editing down documentaries where you usually have miles of footage.

i'm just about to check out pro 1.5, hopefully the trim in the project manager is what i'm after!
    This is indeed what PPro 1.5 project manager does for you. There are two options. The first simply takes a copy of what is being used, ignoring any unused files in your project folder. The second is the trimming that you describe.

Strange that it used to be in 6.5, wasn't in PPro 1 and is now marketed as a new feature in 1.5

Oh and btw, it works a treat. I threw my previous competition entry (West Ham Nil) at this. I used about 30 seconds of a 45 minute capture of my daughter football training. The resulting project directory reduced down to about 5% of waht it was, splitting one VERY large avi file into half a dozen 3 and 4 second clips for me.

My only gripe with it is that I don't seem to be in full control of the new project directory name. I must get around to rpoving I can edit the project file (whcih is XML) by hand and still get things to work ok. However, it is designed for backup purposes so I shouldn't complain i suppose.

oh goody! :dance for joy:

i'm about to check it out, just finished installing 1.5, now im slumming while my dv drivers are installing...

even in 6.5 the program automatically titles the clips it splits up. but, as it's saved chronologically, i haven't had problems with it.

i suppose few people have used the project trim feature before so adobe prbly thought no one would miss it. if they didn't put it back in, i'd have raised a louder howl about it.

hope ur videos came out ok!