Thread: Editing Canon AVCHD

Default Editing Canon AVCHD

Hi

I am new to video and video editing but have been a still photographer for some time. Having become dissatisfied with the picture quality of the family cannon camcorder I decided to invest in an up to date HD model. I decided on the Canon HG10. Picture quality is very goog using a HDMi cable direct to the TV.
    The problem is with editing software. The supplied software is only good for downloading to computer (PC). When downloaded the files play on the PC again with very good picture quality. I have tried a couple of software editing programs and neither even see the files, I know the files are in the folder but the editors cannot see them, I guess itís the wrong format, my files being in Canon AVCHD.
    So my question is what program should I use to edit Cannon AVCHD files?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris Waring.

I am not the sharpest tool in this particular tool shed.

HD TV is an industry standard and I believe Canon capture conforms to that standard.

I would look for the latest versions of consumer programs that will be most likely to support HD editing and rendering - ULead, Adobe and Pinnacle offer free trials of their consumer software (all good programs) and I think Sony Vegas (a much more expensive and professional program) also offers some sort of free trial version. I am confident tht ULead Video Studio 10Plus and current version 11 support HD.

Give them a look online and just wait - brighter bulbs than I re HD will be joining in on your thread soon.
    goodluck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imjay View Post
    and I think Sony Vegas (a much more expensive and professional program) also offers some sort of free trial version
    Just for the record there are a couple of consumer versions of Vegas (Vegas Movie Studio and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum) available at similar prices to the others you mention. And 30 day trials are available from Sony Creative Software - Vegas video - ACID & Sound Forge audio editing (not on the payroll, just an advocate)
    Tim

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestions; I now have a copy of Sony Vegas movie studio 8 Platinum. Ounce I had updated to the latest version (download from Sony site) I now have no problems editing and have access to all of the functions that this program offers.
    Thanks again.

Chris.