Thread: Newbie needs some help

Smile Newbie needs some help

hello everybody
    First of all thanks for reading my post. I m new to the world of video editing. i was introduced to video editing by a friend of mine whose family is in the pre-production business. they air few of their own tv shows at a local tv station here in Toronto.

My friend himself doesnt have a whole alot knowledge about video editing, but he was telling me that another guy who works with his family makes good part time money by editing their shows and also the local weddings, birthday parties, anniversary videos.

So, i gave it a thought that maybe i should learn video editing too. Having some computer background i am pretty confident that i can teach myself from books and video tutorials etc. I went on the internet, did some extensive research and came across softwares like Premiere pro, Vegas, Pinnacle and also this website.

I would like to know that which of the above software is the industry standard, which ones should i learn in order to be a pro in video editing. If someone could also suggest me some good books or video tutorials about these softwares.

Thanks once again.

Either Premiere or sony vegas are pretty good and have lots of free tutorials on the internet .

You can download all of the software you list and use it for 30 days (demo versions). That should be long enough for you to get a feel for it and see which one you may want to use and perhaps purchase. It's much better using the actual software on projects than just reading about it or following tutorials.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it.