Thread: My Mate Kate - My Generation

Blog Entries

Default My Mate Kate - My Generation

This vid has been challenging to say the least. We shot the footage to a metronome track before the final track had been recorded in the studio. As these things turn out, the studio track was much faster - around six seconds, which meant well over 25 cut and shuts per take to get it somewhere in time. It's still not perfect, but I've got to the point where I can't face any more work with it.

The yellow bars are there to help it fit with the style of the lads website.

http://www.turnmedia.co.uk/freestyle/video/1.wmv

(16MB wmv)

As usual, all comments welcome.

Finally, even after all the effort, uploading to hosting sites seems to screw with the sync too much, so this is coming from my own old site.

Blog Entries

Superb, the band should be well chuffed. Technically spot on, exposure, composition, focus, all perfect. This is what all videomakers who record bands should aim for, results not excuses. I think the monochrome worked really well with this set. The "steadycam" stuff was very well executed and the composition retained right the way through the manoever, not at all easy, so congrats to the cameraman.

Now for two mini-mini niggles.
    I'm a bit unsure about the few DVEs in the middle, I would have either left them out altogether or put them in right through the whole of the video and the cameraman needs to watch his shadow which moved across the singer's face a few times.

Having niggled, those are really minor points which others will no doubt disagree with and, as it's only my opinion, you don't need to dwell on them. All in all (as always) top quality stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    ....I'm a bit unsure about the few DVEs in the middle, I would have either left them out altogether or put them in right through the whole of the video and the cameraman needs to watch his shadow which moved across the singer's face a few times......
    Gotta agree with the shadow stuff, particularly on Jack (lead singer). Really hacked off about it but decided to leave in, which you're right - a mistake. Might revisit again in a week or two when I've had a break from it. The effects - I didn't want to overload it and have it like 1970s top of the pops and considered them discreet enough to be right.

Thanks for the other kind comments. If it impresses you - job done!

Blog Entries

Great video. I would have gone for more chintz - but I only stop with the clever stuff when render times are counted in days not hours.

I didnt find the shadow distracting. Treatemnt worked great with a great song well sung.