Thread: Animating a bezier mask in Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

Default Animating a bezier mask in Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

I was wondering is it possible to create a bezier mask that automatically "snaps" to the movement of the object in question, for example, if a person's head is moving.
    I've created the bezier on one frame but I don't want to have to recreate it for every single frame (there are about 180) as it would be extremely time comsuming.

If that is not possible, is there a way of copying and pasting the mask onto the different frames in the video (as opposed to recreating it for each frame)?

Blog Entries

You dont need to re-create the mask for every frame anyway. All you do is use keyframes to move the existing mask around the space as you require. I don't know of any way to auto snap the mask to an object, sorry.

Andy you are correct. There is no way within Vegas to execute, what is called, Auto-Motion-Tracking. I understand that this is achieved by sampling the shape of a set of pixels within the visual and THAT becomes the "lock-on".

When I need to do this I do exactly what you say Andy. However, what would be a an interim option would be for VEGAS the "latch" onto the movement. We have this latching in Audio Envelopes, it would be great if this was available to Track-Motion too.

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    You dont need to re-create the mask for every frame anyway. All you do is use keyframes to move the existing mask around the space as you require. I don't know of any way to auto snap the mask to an object, sorry.

So how would I create a keyframe? I never understood the difference between frames and keyframes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSlasherZ View Post
    So how would I create a keyframe? I never understood the difference between frames and keyframes.
    When you create or move your bezier mask (or apply changes to pan/crop, track motion or the parameters of numerous effects) you create a keyframe.

Within your effect window (in this case within the pan/crop mask) you will see a timeline along the bottom. (Right next tow where you ticked the "mask" box in order to enable bezier masks)

(In the following example when I refer to timeline or timeline cursor, I am referring to those in the Pan/Crop window, NOT the main timeline)

With the timeline cursor at the beginning create a mask.
    A diamond shape should appear on at the far left of the timeline.
    Move the timeline cursor along the timeline and make a change to the mask and a diamond will appear here on the timeline.
    These diamonds represent "keyframes".
    You have specified the exact mask you want at the first keyframe and the exact mask you want at the second keyframe.
    If you move the timeline cursor between the keyframes you should see the shape of the mask change from one to the other.

So, in a nutshell, a keyframe represents a point in time for which you have defined parameters. Those parameters are calculated by interpolation between keyframes.

Hope that helps explain though it's far easier in practice.
    Tim

Thank you very much. It worked perfectly and as you said, is a lot easier in practice.

Blog Entries

Glad to be of assistance.
    Tim