Thread: Vegas 8 crashes rendering Fraps footage

Default Vegas 8 crashes rendering Fraps footage

I've been trying for some time now to render a project of mine containing fraps footage (at 1680x1050) and it seems that as soon as Vegas reaches the footage in the render process it crashes.

I've gone and assumed this is a codec issue, but even after replacing the footage in the project with the same footage encoded through VirtualDub the problem persists. I'm ultimately trying to output to DivX but I've also tried uncompressed but to the same result.

I also tried transfering the media and project to an older pc with which I've rendered fraps footage (albeit an older version) and the problem persists there as well.

In my growing paranoia I've also attempted resizing the video to a power of 4 but still no luck.

Thanks for any advice in advance, I'd like to hope this is something simple I've overlooked in my inexperience.

Vegas Pro 8.0b (build 217)
    Last edited by Erch; 04-08-2008 at 06:22 AM.

bumperoonie

3. Default

Can't help as I have no idea what fraps is. I will say though that Sony Vegas Pro 8.0b appears to be pretty buggy when it comes to this sort of thing.

I've got a shockwave animation where parts of the animation just don't render, despite working fine in Internet Explorer.

I have a whole bunch of m2ts files that the second I drag them onto the Project Media folder cause a "Program has unexpectedly shut down" error.

I've had a few raw .NET exceptions crash the program while trying to render.

I hope they fix some of these issues in 8.0c

Blog Entries

I suspect, but really am guessing, that fraps produces really weird data that is likely to challenge vegas. Suggest capturing in a normal video resoloution - mighthelp...

What choices of files / settings do you have with this fraps thing - fraps... sounds like a skin condition.

I just made a composition using fraps recorded data and Vegas. Worked great

Click here for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I suspect, but really am guessing, that fraps produces really weird data that is likely to challenge vegas.
    Well that's the curious thing: I've tried pre-encoding the footage with virtual dub but vegas still doesn't like it. I'm not very well versed in these things but I would assume that encoding it to divX would solve any issue with Fraps' codec.

The other weird thing is I've done this before with perfect results. Same version of fraps, same resolution. I think the only thing that's changed since the last time I've had working results is the version of Vegas I'm running. Unfortunately I updated the old pc too so when I tried it there I had the same results.

As for the fraps settings, I dunno, records in it's own codec (with virtually no compression). It caps at 30 fps, 1680x1050. I'm surprised you've never heard of it, it's kinda the standard for recording footage from computer games.

As for recording the footage again I'm afraid that's an impossibility; the footage was of a one-time event.

Try going to options>preferences>video and set number of threads to 1. This fixed my frustrating rendering issue. Also may set color settings in your project to 8bit instead of 32bit, that some times helps.

Hope that helps out.