Thread: Premiere Import Freezing

Default Premiere Import Freezing

Hello, All.

I am using Premiere Pro 1.5. OS is Windows XP, SP2 with 1 GB RAM.

This is what is happening. I know the import video works because I can capture with no problem and footage that I 've captured using the same system previously will import fine.

Now, the issue I am seeing is this. I am converting .VOB files to AVI using VirtualDubMod. When I do this they will not import into Premiere. The import progress box opens up but just sits there. I let it sit for hours once.

I tried the conversion in many different codecs including but not limited to:
    huffyuv (CCSE Patch installed)
    yuy2
    Uncompressed
    Cinepak
    Indeo 4.5
    XVid
    DivX
    Panasonic
    Canopus

Since I have no trouble importing files that my pc captures, I must assume that Premiere is not recognizing the codec for some reason.

I saved all of my files converted in the different formats, re-installed windows and Premiere and they still won't reinstall so it's not an issue with messed up configurations either.

Is there something I need to do in Premiere after I install a new codec to tell it to use that codec or fourcc? Do I need to drop a dll in the plugins folder? Do I need to set a path in a menu somewhere?

The files play fine in Windows Media Player so the codecs are on my machine, they are just not being recognized by Premiere.

Any suggestions would be fine although it would be nice to know why Premiere will not load such common codecs. I am not married to VirtualDubMod, but would like to keep it in the realm of FreeWare.

Looks like Microsoft DV AVI (DSVD) is the favored format for Premiere (on my machine) but VirtualDubMod doesn't have that as a choice to convert.

I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm not sure I want to do an avs plugin for Premiere cause I'm not sure what I'd be doing when I tried to write an avisynth script to load.

Thanks, Everyone.
    Patrick

Blog Entries

I would suggets that you download and install a DV codec: Free-Codecs.com : Download Panasonic DV Codec : Play and import DV video with any tool. The Panasonic VFW DV codec works perfect with Virtualdub

Once installed, you;ll be able to chose this as an encode option in VirtualDubMod.

Default Yes

Hi, thanks for the response.

As per the list of codecs I've tried, panasonic's VFF DV codec is in the list.

huffyuv (CCSE Patch installed)
    yuy2
    Uncompressed
    Cinepak
    Indeo 4.5
    XVid
    DivX
    Panasonic
    Canopus (DV as well)

Yes, it works fantastic with VirtualDubMod, but Premiere will not import it. I know that premiere works, because it imports things that I've captured. So, I am convinced that there is something quite subtle that I have to do to get Premiere to recognize a new codec that has been installed.

One idea that I have is to find the dll for Microsoft DV AVI and get VirtualDubMod to export to that but I don't know the name of the dll nor how to get it to show up in the VDubMod list of export codec choices. Any more suggestions out there?

Patrick