Thread: Video Editing in Vista

Blog Entries

Default Video Editing in Vista

How have you guys fared with Vista?

In a change from the norm, I've recently invested in a Laptop for my 'recreational' videography. It being a system build, it came pre-installed with Vista, so I've had Vista thrust on me! The first (and to be honest only so far) annoyance was that Premiere Pro 2.0 refused to work. So after browsing forums, cursing my luck and finally upgrading to CS 3 I can say that video editing on a lap top is most definately a viable option.

Not really been too impressed so far with my £240 upgrade to CS3 (there was I thinking my videos would improve by 15%), but I've yet to do much more than make a series of edits! And yes, maybe I should have just bought Premeire Elements!!!

Also invested in the new magic bullet looks, so expect some feedback reviews on Vista, CS3 and Magic Bullet Looks in the coming weeks...

What spec is the laptop Marc? I'm still using Win XP to do mine on, must be brave one of these days and take the plunge.

Blog Entries

It's a Dell XPS 1530, which after discounts set me back £620...

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300
    15.4" Widescreen™ WXGA (1280x800)
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB

I was looking at those XPS's from Dell also, sounds good.

I've been using vista for a while now and I hate to admit it, but i love it! It's even quicker now that I've download the new service pack which was quite suprising!

long live vista! - I woundnt want to run it on a laptop though!

I have been using vista and cs3 on a desktop since about September last year and so far have had no major issues, haven't downloaded the service pack yet though.

Blog Entries

I think there can be a lot of snobbery in video editing circles with respect to what you 'should' be using. 'Thou shalt not edit on a laptop' for example. Given that video is now firmly a hobby for me, I simply can't afford to have a dedicated PC for editing, spend 2k on a camera and just as much on software. And to be honest, it's more enjoyable now! I don't worry about spending so much money, but I do worry about how to get the best out of the equipment I do have.

I've just bought a new shiny quad core with vista installed, I was a bit duboius but so far its run HD editing with vegas 8 pro very, very well. It's the sheer speed of rendering compared to my old computer which must be mainly down to the increased processing power.

At the opposite end of the scale I've done a fair bit of HD editing on my Celeron single core processor (stop laughing) and although slow it can be done, just don't tryt anything to fancy!