Thread: Problem with Sony Vegas Pro 8

Default Problem with Sony Vegas Pro 8

Hi there!

I think that you can help me...
    I just have a little problem with sfk files, sony vegas 8 does sfk:s always when I open the project, and sometimes I dont see movie, I only hear audio.
    Then I deleted sfk files, but it didnt helped becose it done then always back.
    Then I went to options -> pref. and try to look out settings what could stop doing those sfk files all the time. But I didnt found anything like that.

So, I know that the problem is on sfk files, but I dont know how to get prob. away...can ya help me?

Juzd (sry my bad english)

Why is this a problem for you?

These files cannot be stopped from being created. They are the picture/graphic file representation of the audio WAVEFORM, and you see up there on the Timeline. Yes, you can delete them, but on reopening the project they WIILL get get remade. It IS a problem that when you delete them, Vegas takes more time to re-open. Why? because Vegas is NEEDING to reconstruct them again.

So, I invite you to do what I do. I don't delete them until I have finished the whole project; I have handed over the project to the client and have got a paid invoice!!

Now, get going and do some editing!! SFK files? least of your troubles - I promise you.

Best regards

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 04-05-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: NOT "SKF" but "SFK" files !

Lightbulb

I completely agree with Graize, ie the best feature in sonyvegas it temperorally stores you project and when you lost power or closed accidentally it collects information and re-creates the entire project for you ya it may take some time depending on your project size (1GB RAM will do best).

Good way is use other drives for your work like this..

D:/ My Projects/......../

No more problem and you can easily organize you work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream-Media View Post
    Good way is use other drives for your work like this..

D:/ My Projects/......../

No more problem and you can easily organize you work.
    Oh yes . . . .

I just did an analysis of my latest project:

* 644 SFK files - 48.9mb in total

* 612 AVI files - 115 GIGABITES!!

So the SFK files constitute about 0.005% of my project. Not really a concern for me. I'd rather HAVE Vegas launch fast, with the SFK files already available, than have Vegas needing to re-construct them.

Grazie

ps . . is my Maths correct???

I have free disk space on my computer, that isnt problem...This is; When I go to Vegas, some of my avi files on timeline shows only green, nothing else. And when that isnt green; It's media offline and then that shows me only one picture

AND that problem didn't go away when I opened the project again. Then I deleted sfk files, and that helped. But for now, it does them again, again and again...And yes I have a good computer (2gb ram) if you meant it.

And sry if I didnt tell this at first post.

ty still,

Juzd

Exclamation

I have free disk space on my computer, that isnt problem...This is; When I go to Vegas, some of my avi files on timeline shows only green, nothing else. And when that isnt green; It's media offline and then that shows me only one picture

AND that problem didn't go away when I opened the project again. Then I deleted sfk files, and that helped. But for now, it does them again, again and again...And yes I have a good computer (2gb ram) if you meant it.

And sry if I didnt tell this at first post.

ty still,

Juzd
    Yes Juzd, it happens often-ly in vegas old versions what is your current version.
    You got everything there to run your vegas smoothly.
    There are two main reasons for this green thing in vegas.
    > Low memory and re-converted videos (i mean avi to mpeg and mpeg to flv & again to other formats)

>When You create a new project you added you footage/photos and you leaved it like that for few min(not saved) but vegas caches and save it temp like sfk and some files next to the videos you used. (mostly it saves files in temp folders or my documents/c: drive)

sudden changes to you projects like power off, media offline, deleting temp vegas files will cause that problem.

I'm again suggesting you to follow this simple tech..

> clean your %temp% folders, check out that your mydocument/c: drive contains less folders (i mean make it sure that there are not much crap folder in these places, if any delete them using Uninstaller programs which removes even registries of that apps)

>Install a fresh copy of Vegas, when you open it first set you preferences like paths, temp......

> Finally be sure use other drives(:d, e: so on) for your work.

That's it this is all......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One more thing...when you get an error or any file corrupted and what many of you(not only u) ppl do is just uninstall and re-install the application but you will still face the same problem<--- This happens to many of you, because the old files still there in registry and you need to delete them manually or using any app then Install the fresh copy of the software then no more problem.

Damn tooo long...........

Thank you, I try to follow your tips But I'm not sure about that did I understand everything...lets see.

E1: I have Vegas 8.0b
    E2: I have free space like 40gb, and I didnt re-converted videos many time.
    E3: Don't know what's crap in temp files...but yes I have ccleaner and I "scanned" with it --- Fresh copy?
    Last edited by Juzd; 04-05-2008 at 10:02 PM.

I LIKE having my clips on my desktop that is MY personal preference. That said, I absolutely DESPISE .SFK files. SFK files are a holdover from the days of Sonic Foundry on "486" computers and can infest your hard drive like weeds. An SFK file can be anywhere from 1k to several megabytes in size and without some housekeeping can take up valuable hard drive space.

As sophisticated a software program as Vegas Pro is, the Idea of using SFK files is just a sloppy and faulty design. It is NOT necessary to have a SFK file to open an unfinished clip. If you delete a SFK file before a clip is rendered you must wait for them to be rebuilt every time you open that file which only take an extra few seconds.

Personally I'd rather wait the few extra seconds it takes to reopen a project than to have my hard drive cluttered with these files.

Like every other pro software out there, Vegas should've used a cache directory to store these files which are similar to temporary directories and is the more common feature these days. There's no need to manage them at all.

Until the Vegas devs figure this out and come up with an upgrade, the best way to rid of these files after you've finished a project would be to use the old fashion Windows search tool.

Right click on the start menu, click on search, search "My-Computer" for *.sfk.