Thread: Sony Vegas: How to connect a 2nd monitor for preview ?

1. Default Sony Vegas: How to connect a 2nd monitor for preview ?

I find that the small preview window is not a true representative of the rendered files when play in full screen. I also find that the preview window is too small. I know that we can resize & make it bigger. However, in doing so, it sacrifices the space for timeline & others

So, I was wondering whether it is possible to connect a 2nd monitor solely for the purpose of previewing while the 1st (ie original) monitor is used solely for editing ?

Is it easy to configure ? What do I have to look out ?

Thanks

Cheers

Yes, yes it is.

I have a dual output video card and 2 LCD monitors. Screen 1 and Screen 2, setup with S2 as my 2nd Monitor and S1 as an editing workspace. Now, right clicking on the actual Preview screen I can elect to select "Preview Device Preference . . " this leads me to the normal Vegas > Options > Preferences menus. In here I can select the 2nd Monitor setup - and profiles too!! Once done I can then click on the "Preview on External Monitor" (Alt+Shift+4) to convert my S2 to a total Preview screen.

I also have another external production monitor . ...

Grazie

Within Vegas i can

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Yes, yes it is.

I have a dual output video card and 2 LCD monitors. Screen 1 and Screen 2, setup with S2 as my 2nd Monitor and S1 as an editing workspace. Now, right clicking on the actual Preview screen I can elect to select "Preview Device Preference . . " this leads me to the normal Vegas > Options > Preferences menus. In here I can select the 2nd Monitor setup - and profiles too!! Once done I can then click on the "Preview on External Monitor" (Alt+Shift+4) to convert my S2 to a total Preview screen.

I also have another external production monitor . ...

Grazie

Within Vegas i can
    Thanks Grazie and it is good to know that Vegas can have dual screen. So I gotta check whether my video card have dual output. Sorry for my ignorance but is this the same as the nVidia GeForce card that I have ?

When you have the 2nd monitor solely for previewing screen, is it in full screen ? And will the preview window in the 1st monitor be freed up & replaced by the timeline (or any other window that we can choose ?)

Another thing I would like to ask is that if connected to 2 monitors, what will happen if I open up an Excel file or MsWord file ? Or when I am surfing the internet ? Will the screen divided into two ? How will it looks like ?

Thanks

Cheers

Talking

When you have the 2nd monitor solely for previewing screen, is it in full screen ? And will the preview window in the 1st monitor be freed up & replaced by the timeline (or any other window that we can choose ?)

Another thing I would like to ask is that if connected to 2 monitors, what will happen if I open up an Excel file or MsWord file ? Or when I am surfing the internet ? Will the screen divided into two ? How will it looks like ?Thanks
    Hey (saving private ) ryan_khoo,

Ryan, you can connect two monitors using two methods one is as Grazie said if you have dual output then theres no problem to connect. If you don't have any there's a setup process that will guide you through the process "How set Dual monitors".

Code:
     Another thing I would like to ask is that if connected to 2 monitors, what will happen if I open up an Excel file or MsWord file ? Or when I am surfing the internet ? Will the screen divided into two ? How will it looks like ?
    No, the screen won't get divided.......if you PS converters i mean addons of another mouse and keyboard to your current system then two ppl can work at the same time on a single computer.

ie 1cpu+two monitors+two keyboards+two mouses= Dual Process

Google it to know the process, if you can't then ask me for help..

Quote Originally Posted by Dream-Media View Post
    Hey (saving private ) ryan_khoo,

Ryan, you can connect two monitors using two methods one is as Grazie said if you have dual output then theres no problem to connect. If you don't have any there's a setup process that will guide you through the process "How set Dual monitors".

Code:
    No, the screen won't get divided.......if you PS converters i mean addons of another mouse and keyboard to your current system then two ppl can work at the same time on a single computer.

ie 1cpu+two monitors+two keyboards+two mouses= Dual Process

Google it to know the process, if you can't then ask me for help..
    This was helpful, to a point, but I had worked this out for myself. However I have a slightly different problem.
    I have a Toshiba Equium laptop with an external display attached, and it is in extended desktop mode (so when I move cursor to the left it appears on the extension screen).
    I have set up Vegas preferences to enable this for my preview display.
    But when I click on Video Preview on External monitor (SHIFT-ALT-4) my laptop display disappears to be replaced by the Video Preview. Nothing happens on the external monitor.
    I tried moving the entire Vegas display to the external monitor, and then when I did that and clicked on alt+shift+4 the preview display appeared on my laptop. I could live with that, but the resolution is very poor. No doubt I'll need to go in to preferences to up the preview display resolution.
    But I'd really prefer the preview to be displayed on the external monitor.
    Incidentally, I've dragged the Windows Media Player display to the external monitor and that works fine.
    Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Don't forget that you can also preview via firewire through a camera to a TV. Much more of a 'true' preview, as PC monitors and TV's show colours very differently. I have 2 monitors. 1 for the main Vegas timeline, the 2nd for all of the toolboxes Vegas uses, and a small TV for previewing. You'll find the setup options under Options-preferences.

Question Yes, I know

I just want to see my preview on the external monitor, NOT on my laptop. Also, the resolution is very poor and I can't seem to get it any better.

Blog Entries

Options | Preferences - Preview Device tab
    "Windows Secondary Device" is the only option for Windows monitors ....

BUT in the box below, "Display Adapter", you can, I think, choose which of your two adaptors is the secondary device.

This allows me on a two monitor desktop setup to swap the Preview Device from one monitor to another - I see no reason why it shouldn't work for your laptop.
    Tim