Thread: Burning HD Video to BluRay

Cool Burning HD Video to BluRay

I have a Sony HDR-HC3 HiDef Camcorder and use a Playstation 3 to view my HD films on TV. Using media sharing I can copy relatively small videos to the Playstation, after editing with Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 8.0.However I am now at the stage where I have larger video files, and I would like to burn them to BluRay disks.

I have seen a LG external Blu Ray burner device,but it needs a very demanding PC spec - ie RAM 1 GB or more, and a SATA connection (?). My Acer Aspire 1801 laptop does not meet the spec, so will not be able to use the burner.

Is the best answer to purchase a Sony Vaio laptop,with built-in burner and use that exclusively for Video Editing and Blu Ray burning ?

Do any members have any experience of using the Sony Vaio or any other advice they can offer me ?

Many Thanks,
    Peter Stevenson

Personally, I would forget about using a laptop to capture and edit hi def video on. Get a desktop computer instead and the spec you quote of 1GB and SATA drives is not demanding, in fact it's the bare minimum basic spec and you'll need much more than it to work with hi def video. Other forum members are more experienced in this field so I will let them explain what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Personally, I would forget about using a laptop to capture and edit hi def video on. Get a desktop computer instead and the spec you quote of 1GB and SATA drives is not demanding, in fact it's the bare minimum basic spec and you'll need much more than it to work with hi def video. Other forum members are more experienced in this field so I will let them explain what you need.
    Thanks Nikosony for your comments. But surely a Sony Vaio with 2 GB memory, 300 GB hard drive is powerful enough for HD video editing ? Plus its got a built-in Blu Ray burner which is a big advantage.

Anyone out there got experience with the Sony Vaio (Model VGN F2212) ?

Thanks again
    Pedro

Blog Entries

Blank blu ray discs are Ģ5 sterling, I would wait a bit, they will be 50p in six months.

www.visualise.tv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro_87 View Post
    Thanks Nikosony for your comments. But surely a Sony Vaio with 2 GB memory, 300 GB hard drive is powerful enough for HD video editing ? Plus its got a built-in Blu Ray burner which is a big advantage.

Anyone out there got experience with the Sony Vaio (Model VGN F2212) ?

Thanks again
    Pedro
    I think Nikosony is right. HD video editing is intensive, and the minimum requirements alone met does not guarantee reliability or performance.

You can always install a blu ray burner in a desktop.

I wouldn't advise you to use a laptop to edit HD at all, unless you plan to be out in the field often, and you're only using it to do basic edits.

Quote Originally Posted by www.visualise.tv View Post
    I think Nikosony is right. HD video editing is intensive, and the minimum requirements alone met does not guarantee reliability or performance.

You can always install a blu ray burner in a desktop.

I wouldn't advise you to use a laptop to edit HD at all, unless you plan to be out in the field often, and you're only using it to do basic edits.
    Thanks Isaiah - looked up your website - very impressive.

Donīt forget that I am an amateur and maybe not dealing with such large footages.Also at the moment I am editing HD video on a laptop, and not having any problems.Still think that the Sony Vaio might be the answer for me !

Peter Stevenson

www.visualise.tv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro_87 View Post
    Thanks Isaiah - looked up your website - very impressive.

Donīt forget that I am an amateur and maybe not dealing with such large footages.Also at the moment I am editing HD video on a laptop, and not having any problems.Still think that the Sony Vaio might be the answer for me !

Peter Stevenson
    Hi Peter thanks for the kind words.

Well it is up to you but remember you're only handling HDV on the HC3. Perhaps later on when you move up to full HD the Vaio may not be able to handle it.

I was thinking about getting a laptop to do HD editing as well, but considering that for the same price, you can setup a desktop editing computer that is more than double the power, storage, etc.

However, if you're not doing this commercially, go get the Vaio then... you can bring it along on your holidays and do on the spot edits!

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by www.visualise.tv View Post
    Hi Peter thanks for the kind words.

Well it is up to you but remember you're only handling HDV on the HC3. Perhaps later on when you move up to full HD the Vaio may not be able to handle it.

I was thinking about getting a laptop to do HD editing as well, but considering that for the same price, you can setup a desktop editing computer that is more than double the power, storage, etc.

However, if you're not doing this commercially, go get the Vaio then... you can bring it along on your holidays and do on the spot edits!

All the best!
    Thanks Isaiah for your very helpful comments.

So, I think it will be video editing on the beach now for me !

Best Regards

Peter