Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any mic recommendations?

Smile any mic recommendations?

Hi there, I'm new on here so please be gentle I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent wireless tiepin mic? I have filmed a few friends weddings with just the camera mic, but have now been asked to film a colleagues' wedding so want the sound to be a bit more professional. I have a Panasonic NV-GS400 so don't know if a decent directional mic would do the job instead? Any recommendations and advice about how you actually set up the mics on the day would be appreciated .. thanks, e

sorry should i have posted on a different forum? I realise I'm not completely professional but was just looking for some recommendations ..

Blog Entries

I would suggest having a look at the G2 wireless kits available from Sennheiser.

thanks for your reply .. I'll have a wee look online - I'd seen some other sennheiser mics which had good reviews.. worth the extra money then?

Blog Entries

I had a G2 wireless pack and had no complaints.

Blog Entries

The G2 gear is very good value for money. They were originally meant for "videographers" but have been surfacing in the broadcast world as well. Easy to use and reasonably robust I've got a pair and am very impressed.
    Be very careful when buying online though, there are a lot of fakes out there. I would go so far as to say that 80% of the "new" kits avaiable on Ebay are chinese copies and not worth buying.

Thanks for all your advice, will do some research and hopefully find a decent G2 kit - is it the sort of thing I could pick up second hand anywhere? Or any recommendations for trustworthy suppliers?

Not sure if you managed to get a mic as yet but the Rode NTG2 is by far the best directional mic available at the moment its a better price than the seinheiser kit but has a few great features like fantom or internal power and if your a techy the spec is better as well. I recently bought one over the seinheiser based on reading a few reviews, you wont be disappointed.

Blog Entries

Got to disagree there John, but the Rode is certainly not "by far the best directional mic", in fact it is said that the NTG stands for Not Too Good. At first hearing it sounds very clear but this is achieved by emphasising the higher frequencies, not a good thing and something which can be done in post production easily anyway.

The Rodes were cheap Chinese mics made in Shanghai, they are now cheap Chinese mics made in Australia. I admit that they are better than the really cheap stuff such as Vivanco or suchlike but nowhere near the quality you should be looking at. I have tried the Rodes and found the Sennheisers and Audio Technica range far, far superior. Their large diaphram mics are nice, and very good value for money if you're a home-musician, but their shotgun range is not really up to the standard, in my opinion.

Go to a shop and try them side by side. Try the Rode first and you'll immediately notice "this is better than my camcorder mic", then try an Audio Technica AT897 (at about 200) or Sennheiser ME66/K6 (at about 350) and you'll put the Rode straight back in the box. The AT897 and ME66 are more expensive but not a lot more and there is a reason...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 07-01-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Hi Guru,

Thanks for that, I always found the NTG2 great but if your saying there is something better than perhaps I should look a bit further.

I did see the Senheiser new kit with the different mic attachments and was intrigued but I was told on good authority to go for the NTG2 as it was the deafacto standard in prosumer mics.

Thanks again for the advice I will be getting a senheiser if I can find a good package,

Anyone need a great mic I have a NTG2 going cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast