Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter speed 1/1000 & Editing query

Default Shutter speed 1/1000 & Editing query

Hello,

Post an informed investment in a camcorder capable of recording at 1/1000 shutter speed, I am looking for instructions on how to edit the video in all its slo-mo glory.

Would appreciate advise on:

- how to slow down
    - how much to slow down
    - richest export format
    - any other piece of information that would get in as close to:

Best,
    wirefree

Blog Entries

To hire a slo mo camera of that quality will cost about 1000 a day.

- The investment in a (not 'the') camera has been made already, as mentioned in my first post.
    - A video has been recorded at 1/1000 shutter speed.

I understand the quality wouldn't even be in the proximity of the youtube video. Hence, the query.

My query, once again, is how to extract the best out of the video that has been shot?

Best,
    wirefree

Blog Entries

To get good quality slo-mo you need a camera which shoots a high number of frames per second. This will obviously necessitate a fast shutter speed.
    However a fast shutter speed at 25fps (or 30fps) will result in less blurred individual images. There will still be only 25 or 30 frames per second to be "slowed down"
    This may well result in better footage than that shot at a slower shutter speed when slowed down in software are the software is interpolating less blurred shots.
    I use Sony Vegas and there are two methods of slowing down (velocity envelopes and stretching clips) which if combined can slow down 12 times. If I need more (I never have as yet) I simply render out then re-import the rendered file and slow that down.
    Tim

Greatly appreciate that, Tim.

When you mention Sony Vegas, do you refer to Vegas Pro 8 or Vegas Movie Studio 8? I ask because the price points on those two separate softwares indicates a price multiple of 8x.

Look forward to a prompt response.

getting a camera with a high shutter speed willl not make your shots super slow mo - shutter speed refers to the amount of light let into the camera and not the number of pictures it takes a second. if you buy a camera with a high sutter speed it wont get you anywhere, its FPS that is important, something that only the likes of studios/bbc etc have any real need/access to.

If you want to get some very good results I suggest you shoot in PAL and use some type of frame inteperlation program. I have used both 'twixter pro' and 'retimer' (aswell as the 'timewarp' effect in after effects) and if the footage is shot right the results are amazing.

heres the examples:
    RE:Vision Effects, Inc. : Products: Twixtor
    REALVIZ ReTimer Pro

Quote Originally Posted by innocent_bystander View Post
    That is a fine video. It doesn't come at a fine price.

I suppose render-only version won't do?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wirefree View Post

When you mention Sony Vegas, do you refer to Vegas Pro 8 or Vegas Movie Studio 8?
    You're asking the right question. So many people but Movie Studio and are then disappointed as it doesn't require the one thing they need from Pro.

Both Pro and MS allow you to time-stretch (or shrink) video by up to 3 times on the timeline.

Pro ALSO has velocity envelopes which allow you additionally to speed up by up to four times or slow down to a halt and even go beyond that to start playing the clip backwards.

If money is tight and you don't need any of the other stuff in Pro, don't forget you can slow down by 3x in MS, render out and then repeat the process ad infinitum...
    Tim

Awaiting for a response, I went ahead and downloaded trial version for Vegas 8.

While the stretching was found to be easily achieved, I was abhorred to labor through the procedure of placing two clips side-by-side i.e. splitting the screen. See, slowing down & placing clips next to each other for comparison are the only 2 tasks I need to complete for golf swing analysis. The same task is completed simply via drag'n'drop in Premiere!

As a final piece of input, I'd appreciate confirmation of the procedure for splitting the screen. Here's the tutorial I am referring to:

http://www.douglas.bc.ca/multimedia/...0Guide-Web.pdf

Best,
    wirefree

Blog Entries

On a quick glance the tutorial seems to overcomplicate it a bit.
    Whatever package you use, doing a split screen requires four actions as I see it.
    1. Select the part of the video you wish to appear in the left half of the final screen (crop)
    2. Select the part of the image you wish to appear on the right half
    3. Position the left half
    4. Position the right half
    Put your clips one above each other on the timeline.
    In Vegas 1 & 2 are achieved with event pan & crop
    (select the event pan & crop, release the "maintain aspect ratio" button, move the left or right sides inwards to resize the image, drag the "F" frame left of right to get the correct part of the image in your new, narrower frame)

Parts 3&4 are achieved with track motion
    Select the track with the image you want to appear on the left, click the track motion icon (on the track header) and drag the frame so the image moves to the left. Repeat on the other track for the right half.

There are much fancier ways of doing this with parent/child relationship & masks which is great if you have loads of different clips, but the above is simple and quick (as with everything, familiarity with the product makes it a much simpler task)

Hope this helps
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast