Thread: I need help on how to make certain effects in Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

Default I need help on how to make certain effects in Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

I'm back with a question, or should I say questions . I need to know how to make certain effects in Sony Vegas 8 for a video I have in mind.

Video effect #1:

I don't want two clips over-lapping like that, but I want to know how you can make 1 clip move like 100 times..it's that grayish part of the video.

Video effect #2:

The effect happens at :51 secs. How do they get their clips to overlap that way?

Video effect #3:

The effect happens at :55 secs. In Windows Movie Maker, that add-on effect is called Comp A add B, but how would you do that type of effect in Sony Vegas?

effect 1:

The way Id approach this is to make two video tracks, top video track will be the middle footage and I will crop/resize it and then the behind footage in second video track I will color correct it to make it gray and add the tv effect to it, Mess with that just right and you can get it to move real slow and look the same, as for how that skips or moves every couple seconds, I would just split the entire clip into many clips with the tv effect and change each individual clip to create the skipping effect through the tv effect.

effect 2:

Aside from using a overlay or compositing option the have the two video tracks to mix like, I would also if needed, mask the left side of the video shown on the right and feather it out so it just blurs into the left like you see.

effect 3:

I would simply overlay the two tracks again, where you control the overlay or compositing options is in the track controls to the left before the time line. Read help in vegas about overlay etc, theres a bunch and they all do something different.
    Last edited by Sithxace; 03-30-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    -Sean
    http://www.Sean-Nelson.com
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard
    2 x 24 Inch wide screen LCD Monitor + 30 inch tv.
    TBs and TBs of Storage+ SSD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sithxace View Post
    effect 1:

The way Id approach this is to make two video tracks, top video track will be the middle footage and I will crop/resize it and then the behind footage in second video track I will color correct it to make it gray and add the tv effect to it, Mess with that just right and you can get it to move real slow and look the same, as for how that skips or moves every couple seconds, I would just split the entire clip into many clips with the tv effect and change each individual clip to create the skipping effect through the tv effect.
    Useful trick, Sith. I had another (much more complex, but possibly useful in other situations) way which I'll post just in case anyone has a use for it....

Place your track on T1, duplicate on T2
    Chop into 1 sec events.
    event 1 track 1 - pan & crop so image starts in middle of viewable area & ends just above viewable area.
    event 1 track 2 - pan & crop so image starts just below viewable area and ends in middle of viewable area.
    We now have 1 second of rolling vid but we don't need to create the other pan & crops from scratch.
    Copy track 1 event 1 then Paste Event Attributes to track 1 events 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc and to track 2 events 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc
    Now copy track 2 event 1 and Paste Event Attributes to track 2 events 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc and to track 1 events 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc

As for your answers to Q2 & 3, you're spot on - tvaddict needs to learn a little about compositing levels, modes and about masking.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-30-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: cos I never get it right first time
    Tim