Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegas 8, editing frames so dark areas made lighter

Default Vegas 8, editing frames so dark areas made lighter

Hi I videoed my son playing a live gig, he uses a video projector with images as a back drop. He appears as a sillouette. Is there a way I can edit his foreground appearance and have it carry to each frame....

http://gregpilon.musicnation check out "Not the Movies, Greg Pilon"
    Thanks

Mike

Link not working.

If you have enough digital info within the "son" then a straight Colour Correction may just win you through. But it does sound like you need to separate the Son from the BG.

OK, if you have a silo then you may very well have exposed for the background, and now, maybe you have lost the digital info amongst the "blacks" of your son. However, if you DO have enough dark digital info you could get somewhere by increasing the gamma of the "son" and solely the "son". But this you need to do selectively. You need to do this 'cos doing it to the whole plate would then loose you the BG. If the son is static-ish then that would be even better! So you need to:

1] Created 2 tracks: T1 called "Son"; T2 called Background. Actually you can call them whatever you like. Naming them here is purely to allow you to understand my approach! You could call them "Apples" and "Pears" . . .

2] Reduce the level or mute T2 to allow you to setup a MASK of the "son" in T1.

3] Go to the Son event on T1 and setup a Mask in Pan/Crop. Create a mask around the son and if need be adjust its position of the Mask over time to allow for any movement of the son.

3] To T1 Event or T1 Track Header apply either Levels or Colour Corrector or Colour Curves and "raise" the Gamma element of the Son Event or Track

It will be at this point you will discover IF you have enough digital info within the "blacks" to be satisfactory.

4] Now bring back T2 to a point where you have a better balance better "son" and BG

In Summary: Mask the Son; Apply Gamma or even GAIN to raise the Son from the Blacks; adjust both tracks for a better blend.

How about posting a snap/example of a frame in question?

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 03-30-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling . . waht else?

Wow great stuff, just what I need on a busy Sunday Just kidding, I am doing taxes etc....John Lennon's "The Tax Man " comes to mind..

I will post this stuff, this sounds neat indeed. My late dad ( He passed away 3 years ago at 91) had been into photography in the 1920's, was a transport pilot in WWII and flew around Europe after WWII with the RCAF and we have some great B&W photos..my first memories are at age 4 in a small Ottawa valley town , here I was looking at Buckingham, Palace and the biggest building in this 1000 person town was 3 stories...made me eager to travel Did a lot
    Dad also got into 8 mm movies when I was 12, some neat stuff, even at 90 he was converting 8 mm to video for people..so this is in the blood

thanks and will post to keep you up to date

the link is

Music Nation - Greg Pilon , Bobcat Gray - Profile

I hope this link works , check out "Not the movies" the other videos are photos, this one was live

Mike in almost Spring Ottawa

Blog Entries

All I can see is the video fx, no silouette at all..? ?

He is silouetted against the screen. I want to lighten him so we can see more of him. In the future I will place a low level light on the stage so he shows up
    Last edited by MIKE ON THE bIKE; 03-31-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: se[arate moreof into more of :)

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE ON THE bIKE View Post
    In the future I will place a low level light on the stage so he shows up
    Yup . . . g

i HAVE RUN INTO A PROBLEM, i GET THE TWO TRACKS, MUTE THE SON ONE THEN TRY TO ISOLATE THE SILOUETTE OF MY SON BUT CAN'T/ Opps caps off How does one edit a fram as one coould od with an individual picture in Photoshop.....
    I am missing something here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE ON THE bIKE View Post
    TRY TO ISOLATE THE SILOUETTE OF MY SON
    As Grazie said in his instructions - you have to create a mask.
    Select event pan/crop and check the box towards the bottom (to the left of the timeline) called "mask"
    You can now "draw" a mask around the area you want to select.
    It's fiddly (as you'll see uf you read other threads here about bezier masks) and takes time (you need to move forward a few frames at a time and adjust the mask accordingly) but there's no other option (unless your son is in colours which don't feature in the background in which case chromakeying might be an option)
    Tim

When I go into the Pan/ crop mode I don't have a box at tge bottomleft that says MASK..I only have position. I sent a note to the Sony Help line, I have Sony vegas 8, b, build 126 ( whatever that means) but the mask mox is not there...I saw a tutorial on You Tube about it

You DON'T??

I would really like to see this one. Do a screen grab and post here.

You have the latest BUILD and Update of VPro8.

G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast