Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas Pro 8: Problem with Shining Text

1. Default Sony Vegas Pro 8: Problem with Shining Text

Hi all gurus,

I wanted to do a text effect which I am impressed & saw on the youtube tutorial:

I did exactly the same thing I got the moving text but how come my text is not shining like cyrstal like the tutorial above ? Is there any button I forget to click/follow ?

Is it bcos of the background that I placed is different ? If so, can direct me to a picture where I can used to achieve the shinny effect.

Thanks & Cheers

The picture should not matter, i read the comments and they seemed OK with it so I assumed it must have worked.

The only thing that crosses my mind is that he did not mention any parenting buttons as that is normally how that stuff works...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    The picture should not matter, i read the comments and they seemed OK with it so I assumed it must have worked.

The only thing that crosses my mind is that he did not mention any parenting buttons as that is normally how that stuff works...
    If I remember correctly, that tutorial does not mention anything about parent-child button. Or I missed it ?

I think I follow exactly the same as the tutorial but I cannot get the Shinny Text, can you ?

Cheers

Blog Entries

I gave it a go. Parent/child doesn't come into it although compositing mode does (as clearly mentioned in the video)
    I managed to get a fairly flat (ie non-shiny) result as well. The primary cause seemed to be there wasn't any "curvature" around the edges of the letters.
    I played around with settings and managed to get a much better result.
    The 3 settings within the "height map" as given probably work fine for the size of text the author had. The point is that these three settings depend upon the size of the text you and(quite probably) the amount you crop.
    The other thing to ensure is that you only have one keyframe for the height map track - at the beginning of the event.
    One way I achieve the right look was:
    Follow the tutorial to the end then place the cursor somehwere over where some text was visible (ie not at the extreme ends of the event)
    Go to the compositing mode for track 2 and play with the settings whilst viewing the text in the preview window.
    Once the look has been achieved, delete the left hand keyframe marker and drag the keyframe marker that you've just created to the far left.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-30-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarity
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Go to the compositing mode for track 2 and play with the settings whilst viewing the text in the preview window.
    Once the look has been achieved, delete the left hand keyframe marker and drag the keyframe marker that you've just created to the far left.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I played with the settings in composting mode for track 2 adjusting the amplitude, elevation & smoothness but I still cannot get the SHINNING effect. In fact I typed in exactly the same text "FLASH MEDIA" and also use the same settings as the tutorial but I still cannot get it.

It has nothing to do with the background clip ?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_khoo View Post
    Hi Tim,

It has nothing to do with the background clip ?
    Well, if your background clip is solid red it won't work. There has to be some light & shade in there. Try some other clips? Some with some sky for example.

Also preview it (or the odd frame) in BEST - the effect is nowhere near as good in preview.

I've sent you a pm with my email. Feel free to send me your veg and your clip and I'll take a look if you like. I won't get a chance till tomorrow evening I'm afraid, but the offer's there.
    Tim

I have tried and it works, shiny text, I used Noise Texture 3 as the background picture an an army font as the text. You can add a GLOW filter to the picture to help the shiny look
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 04-01-2008 at 02:40 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    I have tried and it works, shiny text, I used Noise Texture 3 as the background picture an an army font as the text. You can add a GLOW filter to the picture to help the shiny look
    I am really puzzled as to why mine doesn't work ?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Well, if your background clip is solid red it won't work. There has to be some light & shade in there. Try some other clips? Some with some sky for example.

Also preview it (or the odd frame) in BEST - the effect is nowhere near as good in preview.

I've sent you a pm with my email. Feel free to send me your veg and your clip and I'll take a look if you like. I won't get a chance till tomorrow evening I'm afraid, but the offer's there.
    Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for your kindness in offering to take a look at my Veg file.

I have emailed you my Veg file.

I really am puzzled as to why my attempt at producing the shinny crystal text has failed.

I am really curious to know where my mistakes are.

Once again thanks & this forum is really great & brilliant !!

Cheers

For some reason there is a bit missing in my last post, i did offer to send you my VEG file if you e-mail me... that might help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast