Thread: No audio when capturing

1. Default No audio when capturing

Hello I am new to this forum.

I need some help on Vegas. My version is Vegas Pro 8 version a.

Before embarking on changing to this software, I was using Windows Movie Maker. I have started using this Vegas Pro but I encountered problem when I tried to capture a video clip from my Panasonic camcorder which uses a DV mini-tape.

I can capture the video into a .avi files without any dropped frames. I can play the clip on the preview as well as dropping them on the timleine. The only problem is that it has no sound. The sound pattern also looks like a flat straight lline.

Is there any default settings that I need to adjust to allow sound to be captured ?

I experiment with using the same camcorder and captured using Vegas Pro 8b in my sister PCs and it works perfectly fine with sound. I transfer those captured file from my sister's PC onto my Vegas 8a and it can play the audio fine.

So, is there a bug in 8a or I forget to adjust some settings ?

Thanks a million.

Cheers

Hi Ryan.

Not sure if you read Paul's latest post at muvipix but I wasn't aware you were using a USB connection for capture. He said (and I agree with him) that's most likely the problem. It worked fine on your sister's PC with firewire (same tape, same camcorder) - doesn't work on yours.

Blog Entries

On MiniDV cameras, USB is normally provided for the transfer of still images only.
    Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E View Post
    Hi Ryan.

Not sure if you read Paul's latest post at muvipix but I wasn't aware you were using a USB connection for capture. He said (and I agree with him) that's most likely the problem. It worked fine on your sister's PC with firewire (same tape, same camcorder) - doesn't work on yours.
    Thanks Andy. Have read the latest post by Paul.

I am glad to see you here as well.

Cheers

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    On MiniDV cameras, USB is normally provided for the transfer of still images only.
    Thanks Tim for the lesson.

Does that mean if I capture any clips say using Adobe Premiere or Windows Movie Maker using USB, there would also be no sound ? Or is this "USB- no sound" strictly only applies to Vegas ?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_khoo View Post
    Does that mean if I capture any clips say using Adobe Premiere or Windows Movie Maker using USB, there would also be no sound ? Or is this "USB- no sound" strictly only applies to Vegas ?
    Sorry, Ryan, I've no idea. I don't own a camera with USB and neither do I have Premiere! This is just my understanding based on far too much time spent reading forums such as this

However I do know that firewire what is used when capturing. Capturing is done in realtime. So, presumably, it has to be able to keep up with realtime. USB on hard disk cameras on the other hand IS provided to transfer video from hard disk(camcorder) to hard disk(PC) this is not done in real time and ironically this occurs at a far greater speed than realtime. My guess is that whilst USB is capable of transfers at a fast enough speed, it is not necessarily capable of sustained transfer at those speeds.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-28-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Tim

cant you run audio outs from the cam into your line in on the back of your computer while capturing the video at the same time?