Thread: Windows Movie Maker

Default Windows Movie Maker

Does anyone know of a good, easy to use and free video editor.

I am trying to use Windows Movie Maker . Why is the image very poor quality after capture?

And why does the footage get turned into loads of clips?? some only 7 seconds long?

Thanks

Read the thread I started in FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS called 'Free Stuff', there you will find a long list of free software (you have to pay for one). In amongst that list you will find a video editor, click on the link and download it to see if it's any good.

What kind of clips are you using? Did you capture them from a camcorder using Firewire or USB? You should use Firewire if available as this gives the highest video quality. If you downloaded clips from the internet or from a mobile phone, then they are low quality to start with and you can't do anything to improve them. WMM has a setting that captures clips separately, off the top of my head I can't remember how to switch it off, look in the settings to see if you can find it and capture your video in one piece.

Thanks for links

I switched clips off.

Does fire wire need drivers? I have a slot for the cable but the computer does not recognise it, wondering if there is actually a card in place.

You don't need drivers for Firewire, as long as your OS is up to date with its own drivers. That's the thing about some connectors on computers now. You may have the socket on the computer but there may be nothing attached to it on the inside. You can check in the Device Manager, this is for Windows XP, System->Hardware->Device Manager and look for IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers. If this is listed then you have Firewire installed, if it isn't listed then you need to purchase a PCI Firewire card and fit it into a spare PCI slot inside the computer.

Thanks for that, I have now card in place and all is working fine.

WMM may lost your animation and sound.You can download a free trial version from http://sameshow.com/powerpoint-to-dvd.html
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Betty; 05-06-2008 at 03:58 AM. Reason: inputting error