Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Pls Vegas + Codecs!

Default Help Pls Vegas + Codecs!

Hello, I am quite new to all the video editing and stuff like that, I am trying to learn as much as I can about it but something is stopping, I need some assistance on the following issue, could you please help me (My native language is not english).

I use Sony Vegas 8.0 Pro, I need to get some clips in the timeline bar but I cant drag them to there. It gives some message about: Video: Stream attributes could not be determined. I have tried alot of things but I cant get it to work.
    I have recorded it with fraps and it uses the FPS1 codec, thats what GSpot said.
    I tried to use the FourCC changer to make it DIVX but that didnt work either and
    I have the Combined Community Codec Pack installed aswell.

I tried starting it with VirtualDub but that wasnt a success either, it gave the following error message.

Did I forgot something? Please help!
    Last edited by zhdw; 03-26-2008 at 01:28 PM.

I guess question number 1 is....

....are editing it with Vegas on the same machine you recorded it on?

and question 2....

.....can GSPOT play it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E View Post
    I guess question number 1 is....

....are editing it with Vegas on the same machine you recorded it on?

and question 2....

.....can GSPOT play it?
    Question 1: Yes

Question 2: I dont know what you exactly mean by playing but this is the output.

I can play the FPS1 file with using WMP.. should I maybe use TMPGEnc and convert the FPS1 file to MPEG or some sorts?
    Last edited by zhdw; 03-26-2008 at 03:35 PM.

That's an older version of GSpot than I have. However, the point is moot - DirectShow is ok (render successful at the bottom), VfW is not (Codec NOT installed, VirtualDub & Vegas not working) .

I don't know much about FRAPS but clearly a Video for Windows FRAPS decoder isn't properly configured on your machine. You appear to have FFDShow installed. I think you probably need to let that handle FRAPS VfW decoding to get this to work.

Goto Start->ffdshow->VfW configuration

On the decoder tab, scroll down until you see the entry for Fraps. Click on "disabled" and change it to "libavcodec". Click on Ok and then give it another go.
    Last edited by Andy E; 03-26-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks alot, its working properly at the moment, now I finally can start experimenting =))

Quote Originally Posted by zhdw View Post
    Thanks alot, its working properly at the moment, now I finally can start experimenting =))
    I have the same problem regarding codecs but at the audio part. All video are working but some audio are not working. The message is
    Audio: Stream attributes could not be determined

This message is for movies with audio codec "0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3". For the videos with codec "PCM Audio" works perfectly.

Because Vegas doesn't know to manage my codecs already installed I consider that Vegas is a little bit back than the other video editors.

Does anyone has a solution to solve this? I can say that I have many codecs installed. How's vegas working with codecs?

thank you,

A few things...

How were these files created/encoded? Were they all created in the same way?

Will these files encoded with MP3 audio play in Windows Media Player?

Have you run GSPOT on them? Compare the results of ones that work with ones that don't.

Vegas will handle plenty of codecs as long as they're properly installed and configured - as can be seen from the original thread here.

I had an issue recently with importing MPEG2 files into Vegas. An uninstall (of something else) hadn't properly cleaned up the registry. Using GSPOT I was able to clean up manually.

Red face

A few things...

How were these files created/encoded? Were they all created in the same way?

Will these files encoded with MP3 audio play in Windows Media Player?

Have you run GSPOT on them? Compare the results of ones that work with ones that don't.

Vegas will handle plenty of codecs as long as they're properly installed and configured - as can be seen from the original thread here.

I had an issue recently with importing MPEG2 files into Vegas. An uninstall (of something else) hadn't properly cleaned up the registry. Using GSPOT I was able to clean up manually.
    These files all was managed and created with my previous editor pinnacle. Pinnacle can manage very easy all codecs installed but it works slowly.

Difference between files working and not working is that just the DV compression is working, the others files created with DivX 5.2.1 codec doesn't works as audio mp3 compression. The results from above are using Gspot.

What means for Vegas "codecs properly installed"? Codecs installed into my windows or codecs installed somewhere specially into my VEgas? Because the Pinnacle works perfectly and also all movies can be viewed nice with BSplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by kondordv View Post
    the others files created with DivX 5.2.1 codec doesn't works as audio mp3 compression.
    That could be the problem. I've come across a number of reports of issues for Vegas users importing DivX files encoded with MP3 audio (particularly if it's VBR).

Might have to stick with Pinnacle or re-encode the audio.

10. Wink

That could be the problem. I've come across a number of reports of issues for Vegas users importing DivX files encoded with MP3 audio (particularly if it's VBR).

Might have to stick with Pinnacle or re-encode the audio.
    Oh my God. So you mean that it's not possible in any way to install some codecs and my movies to be recognized in Vegas? I checked also the files with Adobe Premier and there is also no problem, why Vegas can't have this feature implemented?

I played more with Vegas yesterday for a while and I found that at transitions creation when I playback the movie the image was not continuously played, but with interruptions. For this part Pinnacle is processing and indicate me to wait few seconds for processing, then works great.

I really want to find why Vegas, why is people using Vegas? Can somebody motivate this issue?

thank you,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast