Thread: New to video editing

Default New to video editing

Hi All,

i'm new to the forums and video editing as a whole. Lets just say, i've taken a certain niche for it over the past few months and recently decided to take it that more seriously.

Picked myself up a Canon HV20 and combined with my Macbook Pro 2.6GHz 4GB ram..it sounded, as if that would make a nice starting combination. Decided to use iMovie HD '06 and iDVD as my main softwares to start off with...primarily because I dont see the point in spending big on software..if you are not already good at what you do.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for me starting out. I've already made a few short HD segments and played through to the TV (off the laptop) and was extremely impressed with the quality the camera produced

What kind of tips are you looking for? Is it on how to use that particular make of camera? How to film videos for later editing? Editing in particular, using video, audio, special effects etc?

how to get the most out of the equipment ive got (in particular the camera). Any editing tips would be great. I plan on making a 5 minute segment of highlights from a rally I attended. Wanted to add an audio track over the background, some special effects...maybe even change the speed of the video etc

99% of what you are looking for has already been covered on the forum, you should spend some time reading other sections and if you have any specific questions after that then by all means post again. I would just be repeating information other forum members have posted already.