Thread: affordable time lapse recorders

Default affordable time lapse recorders

HI Folks,

I only photograph for fun so I don't want to spend a lot of money. I see that other users asking about time lapse options were told it is best to shoot normally and then speed up - that isn't suitable for me and here is why......

I will be staying at a hotel next to the pyramids of Giza, there will be a pyramid view from my room. At that time there will be a full moon. I think it would be amazing to get a series of pictures from a whole 24 hour period including the full moon over the pyramids. I would like to be able to set a camera to take a shot every half hour or so

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced option that would suit my needs?

Thanks for any help

Hi,
    not sure whether this information will be useful for you but in case you have a computer and a webcam available in Giza, you can use my freeware program to create the time-lapse video. It captures images from webcam with period from 1 second to 1 hour. Afterwards, you can export the compressed video with adjustable framerate. It is still under development, but I think it can be useful

Perios :: The time-lapse lover's tool

Please let me know if you have used it and what do you think of it.

Can it only be used with a webcam? What about a digital camcorder using Firewire?

To be sincere, I don't know I have never tried this, so if you can test, I will be very appreciated. In general, it should be able to use any video capture device in the system. However, there is a major limitation in the frame size, so far it is limited to 320x240. There is still a lot of work to do...

Blog Entries

Most dv cameras, well all the sony cameras I have owned, have a function that allows timelapse. Records a few secs of video every minute, or few minutes, depending on the speedup needed.

I do recall seeing 3 or 4 shareware programs on my travels around the freeware and shareware sites recently and they do allow a camcorder to be connected up to them. Have a look on Free Windows Software Download and Softonic - Reviews and free software downloads and Free downloads encyclopedia - Softpedia.

Blog Entries

I would suggest moving away from videotape completely.

Most digital cameras have a time-lapse facility, even the cheapest pocket dogital cameras usually have a time-lapse mode. Use that, set the size to match that of your video (576 x 720 for pal) and set the interval to whatever you want. It'll probably be saved as a .mov file which most editiing software will recognise.

It's what I'd do anyway, a lot easier than mucking about with video camcorders!