Thread: Playback Problem

Default Playback Problem

Hi,
    I've just sat down today to transfer my holiday video but am having problems with playback on one tape.
    4 on the tapes work fine, but I cant seem to playback the footage on the 5th. The camera merely displays a blue screen and you can here some occasionaly choppy sound. When I fast forward the tape you can see all of the footage is there (albeit with banding due to it being forwarded). I have tried cleaning the heads but its still the same.
    I have also tried recording some new footage on the tape in question today (about 5 seconds worth) and this plays back fine.

I'm confused as to whats going on, and a bit gutted that my once in a lifetime trip to Oz could be lost!

The camera is a JVC GR-DX27EK, if this is of any help.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.
    Many Thanks,
    Phil

It's strange how 4 of your tapes play back fine and the 5th tape doesn't. Are they all the same brand or from different manufacturers? Did you change any settings by accident between using tape 4 and tape 5? Did you give the camera to someone else and maybe they changed a setting or it could just be a dodgy tape and there's nothing you can do about it.

Hi Nikosony,
    Yes, all the tapes are the same manufacturer.
    What is weird is that I can record that new 5 second clip on the tape and it works OK. However the entire 1 hr footage (recroded on seperate days) doesnt work.
    I dont think any of the settings would have changed. On one of the days at least I would have used this and another tape, so would assume if the settings were at fault it would have affected another tape aswell.

It also seems weird that the footage is all there (visible in fst forward), but just wont play at normal speed. Is there any way of getting it to play at all?

I'd be gutted if I have to resign myself to loosing the footage.

Many Thanks,
    Phil

This is a long shot, I remember a vcr I had a few years ago and it did the same thing. I could get a picture by playing the tape in fast forward aswell but nothing on normal playback. I did the cleaning aswell but it turned out the record head(s) were finished. I don't know how that affected the playback.

I wonder if its worth sending away the tape to a company to let them try to transfer it to DVD. Do you know of any reputable firms who wouldn't run away with my money and the tape?
    Thanks.