Thread: television effects

Default television effects

Hey I'm a still photographer who's completely absolutely new to working with video, and I'm working on my thesis making movies out of still images. I'm imitating the look of television and I was wondering if anyone knows how/where I can make or find some effects - the "pop" of turning a CRT monitor on or off, television static, "rolling" images, etc. I'm a poor mother fucker and I'm using iMovie because it came with my mac. If anyone has any help to offer I would appreciate it so much.

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

If you have acces to Adobe After Effects and can point you at step by step instructions. pop across to the creative cow podcasts and sift through the after effects ones. i think a TV turning on/off is one of the early ones.

After effects is definitly the way forward - if your looking for inspiration with still images in film I suggest you watch the french film 'la jetee' ..........Jetée, La (1962)..... but as your doing a thesis I guess you already have?
    Last edited by innocent_bystander; 03-27-2008 at 10:47 AM.

i have seen it, it's wonderful. my thesis is not a narrative though, so the work will be pretty different. but yeah i'm just not sure how to go about finding/making/etc these tv effects, any tips?