Thread: vegas 7.0 help (jerkiness)

Default vegas 7.0 help (jerkiness)

hello
    first, i tried looking for the answer here but couldnt find it.

i am using vegas 7 and i made a football highlight reel.

the source video was captured in vegas 7 via an external dvd player. the files came out huge. avi's that are like 30 GB each (about 30-35 min each).

so i chopped that up in vegas and everything came out fine when i previewed on my computer. i rendered to wmv9 and i think it looks great.

so i burned it in dvd architect 4 and it looks alright on tv but during the slow motion sequences (which i did with velocity envelope in vegas 7) it is really jerky and flickery.

so i re-rendered into avi and burned on dvd and now not only is the slow motion jerky but everyhthing else looks kinda flickery also.

i chose the "de-flicker" option in dvd architect before i burned the 1st one but didnt seem to do anything. do i need to do that in vegas 7 before i burn or what>?

anyway, here is the link to the wmv9 one:
    http://www.hotbloc.com/domoniccurrie.wmv

ur prob is that if the video format is not correct for the dvd, the dvd architecture will rerender it in not so good quality.... my suggestion is in vegas instead of rendering as avi or wmv, render it as a mpeg
    -Sean
    http://www.Sean-Nelson.com
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard
    2 x 24 Inch wide screen LCD Monitor + 30 inch tv.
    TBs and TBs of Storage+ SSD

thanks sith

i tried rendering as mpg then burning in architect but i got the same result.

i looked some more in older posts and added a motion blur envelope in the flickery slo-mo parts like one of them suggested but that didnt seem to work either.

the best result i got so far is rendering to avi with the de-flicker and motion blur envelope on. the slo-mo parts are still really jerky and flickery though. i set the velocity envelope to 50% on those sequences.

any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aswahdan View Post

the source video was captured in vegas 7 via an external dvd player. the files came out huge. avi's that are like 30 GB each (about 30-35 min each).
    Maybe the answer lies in the above. If the source was DVD these will already be encoded as MPEG-2. "Capturing" is probably not the best way to go about this. Try copying the VOB files and renaming as mpg. Or maybe File Import DVD Camcorder Disc (dunno - never tried it)
    Just idle suggestions...which may be worth a try.
    Tim

thanks for the response tim.
    wow i really dont want to go back and have to start from scratch with the source material. maybe when i finalize the project i'll go back and play with that.

when i started i was thinking that i need to copy the vob files but i had trouble doing that. i was trying to just drag from the dvd drive explorer window to a folder on my hard drive but that didnt seem to work. is that the best way to go about it? or should i have gotten a dvd ripping prog like dvd clone?

ok i finally got some decent results. i rendered to avi with the morion blur envelope, i de-interlace flickered in vegas and in dvd architect and i did the interpolate instead of blend in project properties.

that took most of the jerkiness out and left only slight flickering.

i appreciate the help. i'll post a final version when i render to wmv.