Thread: Vegas 7.0d - Advanced Cut

Default Vegas 7.0d - Advanced Cut

I'm using Vegas 7.0, the standard version, sorry - I'm not up to date on all the different ones

Anyway, I'm trying to cut out specific parts of a video that are not straight lines, but I have no idea how...or if it's even possible in Vegas.

My main video is that of a cockpit from Flight Sim, but I want to cut out the window areas, it looks similar to this with the same type of shaping for the windows:
    http://aircraft.fsdownload.com/download/2005/07mar2005/Boeing%20737-200%20Cockpit(1).jpg

I know I could just use an image, but I want moving dials and stuff, just for fun.

Any help or suggestions of suitable software to look into?

Blog Entries

That's a job for our old friend Bezier Masks:
    Open the pan & crop window
    Towards the bottom, to the left of the timeline, you'll see acheckbox "mask". Check that.
    Now you can draw a mask around your cockpit window using the tools that have just appeared to the left of your image. These are fully keyframable so you can move them if the image moves.
    Takes practice, but well worth it.
    Tim

Thanks greatly for a swift response

It's annoying how many times I've seen that little check box and never wondered what it did

edit:

I only had a chance to look at it briefly, but it appears that when I grab an anchor point on a completed section that's been cut, it curves the line when dragged, is there a way to simply move each point or do I have to do it all again for a new keyframe?
    Last edited by Leeham; 03-22-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries

You need to zoom into the workspace a bt more .... you're not hitting the anchor... just need a little more accuracy there...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    You need to zoom into the workspace a bt more .... you're not hitting the anchor... just need a little more accuracy there...
    I have, when I hover over a point it turns yellow, when I drag this a dotted line appears and it creates a curve instead.

Blog Entries

Yep, these Bezier masks are tricky little blighters. Experiment with changing the tool you use to select and right clicking and choosing Delelect All. There are rules that cover how these behave, but I've never really figured them, yet I have managed to get workable solutions.
    Also checkout the help file.
    Tim

All I achieved with changing the tool is annoyance

When I change from anchor creation to normal arrow to move the view, it decides to break the creation chain and sets up a new set of paths rather than joining the old ones up

Means I can't zoom too far in.

Anyway, I'll keep at it and check he help files and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.