Thread: AV Leads for 8mm Sony Handycam

Default AV Leads for 8mm Sony Handycam

Hello

i have a old sony 8mm sony handycam with footage I would like to upload to my PC. i have Pinnacle Studio 9 installed and have AV Inputs on my computer (yellow, red & white). If I get a AV cable for the camcorder will Pinnacle pick the camcorder up to capture or do I need some other video capture device etc Secondly does anyone know of a online supplier who will supply av cables for camcorder?

Cheers.

Glen Hughes.

I was in the same position as you a few years ago, I also had old 8mm and hi 8 video I wanted to get onto the computer. I also had AV in sockets and it was great having them. An ordinary AV cable with 3 RCA connectors at each end will work fine or is your camcorder hi 8? I'm sure Jessops, Curry's or Dixons will keep a supply of those cables or just do a search on Google for them. I haven't used Pinnacle but hopefully it should see the AV in sockets and allow you to capture from them. Failing that, try Windows Movie Maker to capture and then open up the file(s) in Pinnacle as it has more features.

Hi

Its a Hi8 8mm Camcorder! Ive found a 3RCA TO 3RCA cable on ebay so will give it a whirl, how fast is the capture? Im used to working with MiniDV - Firewire connections on a MAC in real time.

Thanks ever so much for your help its very appreciated.

Regards

Glen.

Now that you know your camcorder is Hi 8 instead of just 8mm, use an s-video (350? lines of resolution) cable to get the higher quality video than what composite video (230 lines of resolution) gives. Hopefully you have an s-video socket on your computer aswell, if you don't then the 3 RCA to 3 RCA will have to suffice. A 60 minute tape will take 60 minutes to copy across (provided there are no problems during the capture stage). I take it your computer has the required spec to allow you to capture analogue video and convert it to digital?

Hello

God I must sound like ma pain! When i got in from work and dug my old camcorder out its not Hi8 just plain old 8mm....doh! My camcorder only has one video (yellow) and audio (black) connection. My PC has the full works AV: Yellow, Red, White, S-Video, 4pin Firewire and 6Pin Firewire connections.

I found a old AV cable at work that is a yellow video and white audio connection on either end. When I link it up with my camcorder/PC, Pinnacle only picks up the video and no sound, even though the audio of the video is played through my PC speakers during capture. Any ideas??

Can you play a old 8mm camcorder through a new Mini DV camcorder and capture via firewire?

Cheers

Glen.

Check the capture/audio settings in Pinnacle (unfortunately I don't have that software - so I can't tell you exactly what the problem is) and make sure you are capturing audio from the correct input socket (it has to be the left audio channel as your camcorder is mono) and you may have it plugged into the right audio channel socket instead on the computer. That may be the reason why you are not getting audio.

If your Mini DV camcorder has AV in sockets and Firewire out then yes you can connect your 8mm to the Mini DV and connect the Mini DV to the computer using a Firewire cable. If you have AV in sockets on your Mini DV then you may need to change a setting in the menu, the default settings tends to be set to AV out, so you will need to change that.

Hi

Thanks - I'll give it a go, any problems i'll let you know

Cheers

Glen.