Thread: Help on Fading Away effect on Sony Vegas

Default Help on Fading Away effect on Sony Vegas

I need help on how to empty a background for a fading away effect. Unfortunately, this tutorial doesn't tell me how to empty a background for that effect.

Sony Vegas Step By Step: Fading Away Effect

Help!! Please

Move your mouse to the top right of the event in question on the timeline until the cursor changes to a quarter-circle with a horizontal double arrow - there's a blue triangle which you should be aiming for. The tool tip "Fade offset" + 0 time value will also appear.

Hold the left mouse button down and drag to the left. This will create a fade-out. The "Fade offset" tooltip will indicate the amount of time you're using for the fade-out.

Blog Entries

tvaddict, if I understand correctly you want to know not how to create the fade but how to create the background without the characters in. I've got some bad news, you're too late! You have to film the scene without the characters (and again with the characters).

Actually the example you linked to is not very good as the shots with and without (I think he used a still for "without") wre not framed identically - just look at the upright supports and watch one fade in as the other fades out.

Personally I wouldn't use stills as even if they are taken as snapshots of the video the backgrounds will still look different and the effect will not be as great.

I saw a film made by a fellow member of my video/film makers club the other noght where he used this effect extensively. In particular he used is to show him fading in whilst walking along a beach. To achieve this one has to realise that rolling waves are basically cyclic and so he needed to film enough background (no characters) to cover a few cycles. So, you can create this effect even with moving backgrounds if the conditions are correct.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-16-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: clarification
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    tvaddict, if I understand correctly you want to know not how to create the fade but how to create the background without the characters in. I've got some bad news, you're too late! You have to film the scene without the characters (and again with the characters).

Actually the example you linked to is not very good as the shots with and without (I think he used a still for "without") wre not framed identically - just look at the upright supports and watch one fade in as the other fades out.

Personally I wouldn't use stills as even if they are taken as snapshots of the video the backgrounds will still look different and the effect will not be as great.

I saw a film made by a fellow member of my video/film makers club the other noght where he used this effect extensively. In particular he used is to show him fading in whilst walking along a beach. To achieve this one has to realise that rolling waves are basically cyclic and so he needed to film enough background (no characters) to cover a few cycles. So, you can create this effect even with moving backgrounds if the conditions are correct.
    Oh, okay. Thanks Alot !!. Lol, Rats! I was hoping on using this effect a lot ...no chance of finding the same scene with and without the characters :( since I make mainly fanvids from tv shows.