Thread: selecting current event

Default selecting current event

Little weird but i can't find a shorcut for this in vegas pro 8 :
    How do i select the current event without using the mouse on the timeline?

I play the project, i press stop or pause and now i want to select
    that event where the cursor is.

The "event where the cursor is" may only be relevant if you've only got one track. There may, in fact, be several events across multiple tracks where the cursor is.

Problem: At present I have 14 tracks and it plays well. The cursor is over the position where I have some 10 events "under" the cursor. How do I tell Vegas WHICH one of these 10 events to select?

Method 1: I locate "one" of the events in Project Media and right click on it and choose "Select Timeline Events" ( 4th down).

Method 2: Event Selection Tool - up there ion the Toolbar

Now what is it you want to do? You see, and here's dah thang, after you HAVE selected it - by this non-mouse method, you/I/we will STILL need to click on it with a mouse to DO something to it! P/C, Fx Icon stretch it . . or whatever . . I can't see WHAT you can do other than USE the meeece thing? Maybe others have a solution?

Do you see my point? Think of having more than one track and then you will kinda grab the issues. Maybe a TAB through .. or a mouse scroll wheel through .. or . . dunno . .. ?

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 03-16-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Method 1: I locate "one" of the events in Project Media and right click on it and choose "Select Timeline Events" ( 4th down).
    But note: this will only work if you have used this media only once on the timeline.

Method 2: Event Selection Tool - up there ion the Toolbar
    I presume you mean the "Selection Edit Tool". Unless I misunderstand you, this doesn't meet vion's requirements in that you still have to click on the timeline.

Now what is it you want to do? You see, and here's dah thang, after you HAVE selected it - by this non-mouse method, you/I/we will STILL need to click on it with a mouse to DO something to it!
    Actually thereís quite a lot you CAN do without resorting to the mouse. Quite apart from Cut/Paste/Copy, you can Add/Edit Event FX (Alt-T, V, F) or Pan & Crop (Alt-T, V, P), then thereís all the trim/move features using the numeric keypad. In fact, just about everything you might want to do with an event can be done from the keyboard once youíve managed to select it.

And my guess is thatís exactly what vion is trying to do. Learn to do the whole thin g with keystrokes as this is more efficient. Am I right vion?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E View Post
    The "event where the cursor is" may only be relevant if you've only got one track. There may, in fact, be several events across multiple tracks where the cursor is.
    The question is not quite as daft as it may at first seem. Only one track has the focus at any one time and this can be changed via keyboard only (Tab so the track headers have the focus then up & down arrow to change) Logically only one event can be under the cursor for that track (unless midway through a transition).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Logically only one event can be under the cursor for that track (unless midway through a transition).
    Good point. John Meyer has a script that should help with this downloadable from VASST: VASST : Free Resources

There are 3 scripts within the archive - the others may prove useful as well. There's a readme that explains the relevant workflow. Assign a keyboard shortcut to this and you may well be good to go ....

NOTE: It looks for a selected video track, finds the first event that is under the cursor, selects that, then moves to the next track and if that is an audio track then selects the audio track at the cursor as well. Depending on what the OP wants to do with the selected track, the script may need editing.

EDIT: It says V6 only but it does work under V8
    Last edited by Andy E; 03-17-2008 at 09:50 AM.

But note: this will only work if you have used this media only once on the timeline.
    It is being seen in Preview, hence it has to be on the Timeline?
    I presume you mean the "Selection Edit Tool".
    Your presumption is correct.

Unless I misunderstand you, this doesn't meet vion's requirements in that you still have to click on the timeline.
    This IS an option to try out. He may not like it? He may have already tried it and still didn't like it. He may STILL not want to click on the Timeline. I don't know. But I did provide an alternative - Tim?

Actually there’s quite a lot you CAN do without resorting to the mouse.
    Never doubted it - not for a moment. But there still hangs the "need" to select the under the cursor "single" precise event. Keystrokes are great, if you ain't got the Event Selected they are but water in the dessert.

. . . and as you point out too
    In fact, just about everything you might want to do with an event can be done from the keyboard once you’ve managed to select it.
    We are back here - yeah?

And my guess is that’s exactly what vion is trying to do. Learn to do the whole thin g with keystrokes as this is more efficient.
    Learning is good. I like that. You're guessing efficiency? No, you are saying K/s are more efficient. Or am I being presumptuous?

OK, for me, I am always working to towards efficiency. It is when a process can get in the way of getting to my narrative and here the added value of utilizing a mouse CAN BE greater than K/S. It is not one, nor the other. Learn k/s, go for it. But mouse PLUS k/s is the ideal.

Bottom line, whatever gets me to my narrative; allows me to try out more and more ideas faster, whatever that is, I will use it. If it is too much of a finger ballet/polka count me out. And likewise if the mouse should interfere with the precision offered by k/s count me out too. But, but, but, I wont slavishly use something that, although clever to learn, is just plain awkward to use. And, more importantly, counter intuitive to my search for unearthing the narrative. And that for me, Tim, is the efficiency I want.

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 03-17-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Syntax; spelling; para break;

Blog Entries

It is being seen in Preview, hence it has to be on the Timeline?
    My point was that there may be more than one event on the timeline derived from the same media Ė hence more than one event will be selected, which is not what was required.

This IS an option to try out. He may not like it? He may have already tried it and still didn't like it. He may STILL not want to click on the Timeline. I don't know. But I did provide an alternative - Tim?
    OK. I admit it. I made an outrageous assumption that if he didnít want to use the mouse on the timeline in order to select an event, he also wouldnít want to use the mouse on the timeline as the very next step.

I thought I had the monopoly on pedantry.

We donít know and vion hasnít commented as yet so I wonít comment further.

[in response to my comment that thereís much you can do without the mouse]
    Never doubted it - not for a moment.
    But Grazie, you posted:
    after you HAVE selected it - by this non-mouse method, you/I/we will STILL need to click on it with a mouse to DO something to it! P/C, Fx Icon stretch it . . or whatever . . I can't see WHAT you can do other than USE the meeece thing? Maybe others have a solution?

I was simply responding as one who did have a solution to things you can do without a mouse

You're guessing efficiency? No, you are saying K/s are more efficient. Or am I being presumptuous?
    Ah-hah! Youíve certainly got me there. Yep, I was blindly saying that keystrokes are more efficient which is, of course, a matter purely for the individual to decide. I had made another assumption Ė again quite possibly wrong Ė although it was a reasonable conclusion based on vionís original post that he is aiming to avoid using the mouse.

And, this is all part of (my) learning . I'm certainly enjoying it!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E View Post
    Good point. John Meyer has a script that should help with this downloadable from VASST: VASST : Free Resources
    Great find, Andy. Surely that must fit vion's bill or come very close.
    Tim