Thread: Video Edit + Adding New Audio - Free Software?

Default Video Edit + Adding New Audio - Free Software?

Hi everyone.

This is my first post and while i'm not so much looking for video editing advice, i'm looking for advice related to software which would help me achieve my process of writing a audio soundtrack for a existing B/W movie from the early part of the 1900's.

What i basically want be able to do is take this existing movie (currently the only source i have is as a .avi file) and remove the original audio track altogether and then add my own audio source via a new track?

The catch: I would need the ability to be able to sync my new audio segments to the original video track (it not just laying down one complete edited track asd it done).
    So my question is : Is there a Freeware program available, which would allow me to do this process and is it fairly idiot proof?

Please if you know of any software package post a link or email me directly. I would even consider paying for software if it allows me to achieve my goal - but only if it is easy to use and doesn't require a massive learning curve.

Kind Regards Zenin / Jay

Well, I suppose you could use Windows Movie Maker. You can't (AFAIK) remove the original audio track but you can totally mute it and then add your new audio to the Audio/Music track.

It all depends how accurate you want your syncing. If it's anything more than a vague "that sounds and looks about right", then after about 5 minutes of using the program you'll be looking for something else.

CAVEAT: I'm referring to the XP version - don't know if the Vista version is any better.

If Movie Maker doesn't float your boat, then you'll need to take a look at one one of the various consumer-level NLEs from Ulead, Sony, Adobe etc. etc. They' ll all got trial versions as far I know, so you can at least try before you buy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E View Post
    .... take a look at one one of the various consumer-level NLEs from Ulead, Sony, Adobe etc. etc. They' ll all got trial versions as far I know....
    Yep, and they're all helpfully listed right here.

Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - links

What kind of sound track are you talking about. Is it entirely music, dialogue and sound effects or a mixture of all three?

Manually synching new audio to video is not difficult at all with a little parctice and IMO 5 minutes won't whack you out once you get the hang of it but it takes practice and a bit of eye to hand coordination.

As already posted most any editing program will let you open your video track in a timeline and when ready you can mute its' sound while allowing new sound and when rendered the video will have only the new sound.

However, you can leave the original sound active as an accuracy reference as you work through adding the new sound with manual synching.

The way I learned to do it was watching original video and use mouse button to pause the track at the very beginning of a word or musical note or even human gesture or cue. Then I drop the new audio track into the time line and experiment with setting its' start point with a mouse click at same word or note or cue.

Then you start playback with both audio tracks active. In pretty short order you can adjust the new audio to begin in sync with the other sound. Remember you have 30 frames per second and WITH PRACTICE this kind of manual sync just using your ears and eyes and mouse isn't that hard - believe me unless looking for it being a frame or even 2 frames will not be noticed.

I can send you a link to a site of example of manual sync I did between six cameras of video and a separately recorded and mixed soundtrack. It's tedious but the more your experiment with it the easier it gets.
    goodluck

It's all music and Fx via keyboard or pre-recorded audio to dump to sync, no voice recording.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Yep, and they're all helpfully listed right here.

Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - links
    This was really useful. Thanks!

I just wanted to have some pictures move rather quickly... so I learned I could use ArcSoft, which I have.

Will I be able to upload that to YouTube?
    Your fingernails reflect your health --
    Learn some warning signs --
    Karen Kline