Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Script writing.

Default Script writing.

For my intended competition entry I have plenty of dialogue whcih is still to be written. Rather than just 'wing it' I wanted to get it all down first. As a script/screenplay if you will.

So I got the thinking, how hard can a real script be to produce. Did a google search. teh first site that popped up was

http://www.scriptwritingsecrets.com/contents.htm

It all reads quite interesting tbh. However, not knowing anything about it, it might al lbe complete tosh for all I know. Comments anyone?

I might have a read and see if I can't come up with some sort of MS Word template for a script/screenplay.

Does anyoje have any other advice they care to share on script/screenplay writing? e.g. I'm assumign that a script and a screenplay are synonymous terms. Are they, in fact the same thing?

Default Re: Script writing.

Quote Originally Posted by millsy
    I might have a read and see if I can't come up with some sort of MS Word template for a script/screenplay.
    But then again, maybe I won't. Just found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/

At first glance it looks like what I might have tried to create for myself... and then some.

And more importantly (perhaps) I haven't found anything anywhere that indicates it's not a freebie. Thanks BEEB. Looks like just what I might be after.

You could try Roughdraft, a free word processor with options for screenplays and stage plays.
    http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm

Reindert.
    www.nobudgetvideo.com

Default Cool

Wow so much to learn - who could ever get it right!

I really dig the BBC script writer link - it is just a really cool word template. I am going to use this as well.

very user friendly and it will give you all the proper punctuation indenting etc without having to know a darn thing about how to type it up - thanks

What do you recommend for storyboarding - I think premiere has storyboarding abilities of some kinds but have never played with that yet.
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

For storyboarding I have a handy Adobe Illustrator template.

Although I don't use it as a template in the Illustrator sense. I simply print the page with the frame cells on it and then get my pencil and eraser out.

I got the 'template' from the cover disk of a book.

Further to this thread....

I treated myself to this book on the subject of screenwriting because the subject piqued my interest.

Script writing book

It's a good read. Aimed more at full screenplays and how to market them in Hollywood but a decent book on the subject in my opinion with plenty of stuff on how to actually write and structure a screenplay as well as how to go about trying th sell it..

So it looks like my comp entry may well come with a downloadable script when I'm done. Not so sure it will reach Hollywood this time around. Maybe the next comp eh?

Default Thanks again

Thanks again millsy for the script writing template you found - I used it to type up my script - makes it look cooler anyway - there's no saving the content though

I had this site gathering dust in my favorites: http://www.craftyscreenwriting.com/

I see he has released a book now and not everything is online but there are some chapters to read for free. From what I remember this man knows his craft and he is very in-depth. He even discusses the correct paper size (letter/A4) and the actual weight of the script. Too light and they throw is out unread, to heavy same thing so you have to choose the right quality of paper...

Reindert.
    www.nobudgetvideo.com

Default Re: Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Davewav
    Thanks again millsy for the script writing template you found - I used it to type up my script - makes it look cooler anyway - there's no saving the content though
    What? it's freebie word template whcih installs as a .dot. Create a new doc based on it and save in the normal way. What's not working for you then?

I have found though, now I've started to use it that it makes some functions act a bit strange. cut and paste need to be done from the menu rather than the usual Ctrl-C/V keys.

Must be all the VBA in the template. I may not use it longterm myself because of this. Might just create my own .dot based on the styles I need.

Default oops

No, No I meant - the content (ie the lack of content or lack of skill at creating content) can't be saved by or helped by a template

The template works great and yes you are right some hot key hits have been used by some of the macros they created. No big loss though

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast