Thread: Problems making DVDs from Everio HDD to

Default Problems making DVDs from Everio HDD to

I have endless trouble transferring images from myJVC Everio HDD to DVD. The provided software seems full of faults; the PowerCinema will allow only 50 files per disc and as most holiday shots are only of the order of 10-20 seconds, this only uses a fraction of a disc capacity, as no further transfer can be made to the same disc, which is always automatically'closed'. As a two-week holiday may produce 400 or more files, this is a costly and wasreful use of discs. Also, there is no way of editing files, other than deleting them, it being impossible to 'split' files to get rid of dud parts.

Trying use Windows Movie Maker is little better. Again more than forty files is fraught with danger, messages such as 'catastrophic failure' and 'unspecified error' coming up if the storyboard is long than 10-15 minutes. The iating time for encoding is also a horrenbdous waste of time.

Is there any better software that can be used? They provide Cyberlink PowerDirector, Express, Power to Go etc, but I can't see how import the files from C/MyWorks/Everio Backup/ PRG etc into the system
    Any advice welcome to save hours of futile messing about!

bernard knight

Unhappy

An interesting and timely question because I am (or rather was) going to buy a JVC HDD camcorder to replace my ageing Sony Digital 8 system.

As I understand it from your post, every time you use the camera it stores the captured data as a separate file - logical I suppose - and clearly as you've described most holiday shots will be of very limited duration. The problem then is how to link all these 'mini' clips into a substantial string that can be edited and burnt to DVD.

I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite 9 and this allows project creation that consist of many files but I'm unsure of its limitations. I shall try and investigate further and post back my finding.

Hopefully, in the meanwhile, others may have some views to post.

Default Further to Hdd to DVD transfer

Dear Elton 77,
    Glad my plaintive cry found a ready response. The other supplied programmes I have, such as Windows Movie Maker, Cyberlink Power 2Go, Cyberlink Power Director Express, Cyberlink Power Produceretc, can all handle these individual files which constitute single video shots, the problem is that they seem opposed to stringing more than about 12-18 minutes worth together, thus wasting so much DVD disc.
    I always thought that additional material could be added to discs that were not'closed', but they give you no opportunity to keep them open. Also, the addition time of files to the time-line which strings them end-to-end ,increases progressively with the load, so that the process slows down greatly after a few additions. Then, if the aggregate is too much, the whole thing seems to crash.

I've just had more success using Cyberlink Power Producer with slightly more files than usual, but I'll have to fiddle with it to make sure itwas not just a maverick triumph. What's needed is (a) a bigger maximum load capacity per disc and (b) the ability to come back and add to a disc.
    Bernard Knight

Well I must help my neighbour

I've posted the issue in a more general form of words at the Roxio forum to see if anyone there is using a HDD camcorder and Roxio and requesting they provide some feedback to their experience. I say it's general because I'd like to get wider feedback on HDD's generally.

Nobody has responded yet - but it's early days yet and as soon as I get any feedback I'll post.

Really, whats needed is a program that would concatunate the files together before starting the transfer rather than treating each file as a separate 'being'.

I'm going to pop over to AfterDawn and see if there's anything there.