Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering takes sooooo long.

Default Rendering takes sooooo long.

I edited my 2 hour school play, adding titles and credits, and fixing some camera work.

It took 6 hours to rotate the video through 2 degrees clckwise using Virtual Dub (lesson learned in camera technique)

It took some 3 hours to render the product into dvd (vob &c) format.

Is there any way to speed thie rendering process significantly? Maybe hardware I can buy?

Thanks Tony

Virtual Dub, Magix Movie Edit Pro, Nero
    3.2 Pentium 4

If you are into rotating camera perspective via digital processing you are way beyond me. I always shot my kids school plays and programs using multiple cameras and never even knew about rotating an image.

I'm not a genius with this topic. IMO - three things determine how long rendering will take.

Processor Power - Rendering is processor intensive process so power of the CPU BIG factor. If it's gotta be faster for you step up to beyond Pentium 4 processor.

Complexity of Editing Line Commands - Rendering time depends on complexity and quantity of project editing commands, transitions, effects. The more project command/instruction set the longer it takes for the software and processor to do the implementation of those instructions.

Software Capability - Rendering time depends on how well the application engages with the files and the processor and controls the rendering process.

I did a lot of editing on an old and slow P4- 1.5Gig chip with 400FSB and it took forever for 90 minutes of content to render.

It's significantly a faster process with my 3.6gig chip desktop and I expect it to improve a lot more when I finish building my new desktop with faster multi-core MB/CPU and faster memory and etc.

Default rendering

Hi Imjay
    I'd never rotated a video before either, but it was surprisingly easy, much like rotating a photo in Photoshop.
    Open the vob file with virtual dub, open the 'rotate' filter, and click the number of degrees rotation. It comes out as an AVI file. Takes ages.

I'm also due to buy a new computer urgently. To stop this one from crashing, I took the side off and put a 15" portable household fan next to it! I have been wondering if a duel core will be faster. Converting to dvd format is a single systematic sequential process. I can't see how it could use more than one core. My existing p4 is seemingly faster than either core on a new cpu.
    I can see that if I wanted to run another program at the same time, it might run on the second core without comprimising the other task.
    I really don't know though. I am probably totally wrong. I s'pose duel core must be the way to go,

What processer will you get?

Tony

Hey
    I'm still undecided what to actually buy cpu wise so I keep going into online vendor configurators putting in different types of memory and chips and comparing prices.

I keep thinking I'll build a new one like I did my old one but prices for bundles are pretty attractive.

I personally like having an open pc architecture which you can't get with some name brand's proprietary bundled computer. I like a server size case that my hands can get into with my own chosen cards for video and burners and etc.

I guess I'll make a decision in a few days though my old pc is working really well.

I'll post info re processor performance comparisons.
    JM

Hey Again
    I was about to go to Tom's Hardware website to do some cpu research - have you ever visited tomshardware.com?? Great site for information once you figure out how to wade though it all.

But before I got there I found this P4 versus dual and it came from tomshardware so please read the following:

"toms hardware says that a 2.8Ghz P4 520 does their lame test in 5:05, the Core 2 Duo @ 2.13Ghz does the same test in 3:10, the P4 got 834 in 3DMark 06 while the Core 2 Duo got 1892, and for PCMark 05/CPU the P4 got 3522 while the Core 2 Duo got 5489

So doing the math on those numbers would say that the Core 2 Duo @ 2.13Ghz is 1.8 times faster then a P4 @ 2.8Ghz, and that's with the slowest Core 2 Duo. Go to tomshardware.com and click on CPU Charts on the right for all the comparison information.

Blog Entries

I went from a xp3000 (similar to your p4 in perf) to a 'slow' dual core and the speed improvement was much better than i was expecting.

Up to 4 times faster for rendering.

Mark W, you've convinced me

Imjay, Thanx. I had a look at Tom's Hardware. Great site.
    You've probably already seen the charts, but for anyone who hasn't, in the left hand blue selection box, click CPU, then click Charts. In the 3 selection boxes, select software similar to what you'll be running. and select a couple of proxessors you're interested in. It displays a chart of exectution times for all current processors, and highlights those of interest in red.
    Great site.

One terrible problem I have, (maybe not that bad) is, I'd like to build my own, but Dell are so incredibly cheap. I know people including computer geeks who've got 'em, and no complaints to be found. Eg

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6550 processor (2.33GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB cache)
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    1.0TB (7200RPM) SATA Dual Hard Drives (2X500GB)
    £363 incl delivery.

I'd pay more for a faster processor, but there isn't that option with the offer.
    I've no affiliation with Dell in any way, but I think the above might be ok.

Yeah - I'm seriously considering buying a bundle from a maker like Dell. So long as I can blow out Vista and load it up with XPPro I could be happy.
    goodluck

It's a shame that they don't give you the vista installation disk, only a system restore disk, so if you wipe it you can't sell it or give it away. I think there's a way to create a Vista disk from the installation plus the restore disk - I skimmed Google - but I'm not sure.

Going totally off topic, I made a bootable windows XP cd using Reatogo. Hellish complicated process. You actually run windows from the cd.Even if there's nothing on your hard drive, you can still access the internet and run whatever programs you've installed to the cd. Windows XP in only 460megabytes. You can't install new programs, and time limited programs always have 30days before expiry.

I'm sure I could find a Vista disc if needed.

But seems to me the simple thing is to remove the Vista based hard drive and shove a new one in and then load clean XPPro to the new hard drive. Then I can load all my spiffy aps that like XP but don't like Vista.

Then you can just put the Vista drive safely away for now and it's there is for some unGodly reason you want to run Vista.

I always keep a second hard drive as a copy of my primary working drive and I swap them out from time-to-time - not usual but it works for me as extra back up.

Know this thread has slipped away from topic but it's been informative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast