Thread: USB Live & Ulead VideoStudio's SE 7 DVD

Unhappy USB Live & Ulead VideoStudio's SE 7 DVD

Hi There
    NEWBIE TO FORUM & VIDEO EDITING SIVER SUFER

I purchased USB Live by Hauppauge & viewing in Ulead Video Studio 7.
    The picture at first was terrible untill I started messing about with the settings (Don't know what I've done) I began to get an acceptable picture in B&W.
    I altered the compression ratio to mpeg4 I think But I've just looked at the properties of the clip & it says Uncompressed! The clip is only 11mins long & its 3.9GB now!!. The main thing is NO colour How do I get a picture with excellent qualities
    Regards
    Frank
    Feel free to visit My website

Okay
    I have a given a quick google look and appears the USB Live is a realtively cheap video composite link between a tv, vcr, camcorder or game system composite analog output to a usb port on a pc.

The USB Live comes with proprietary video capture software and won't work with any off the shelf video capture software (according to what I found online).

So you are locked into using the WinTV software that comes with it, which can create only MPEG1 video quality which is 320x240 screen resolution yet apparently the USB Live instructions recommend you capture as avi file type which, as you have found, creates a HUGE file which has no added quality value with mpeg1 resolution material.

Have you tried to plug your tv or camcorder output into the usb port in active play mode then opened ULead video studio and click on project capture settings and set for mpeg2 and tried to capture using ULead as capture controlling software?

Starting with version 6 ULead vs does a great job of controlling video capture BUT if this device can ONLY be used to capture mpeg1 quality it's junk and there are other similar devices available at similar price that do a better job.

You've got a nice little consumer video editing program with ULead Video Studio which will do a great job of capture, editing and rendering if your capture device allows full quality possible from your video source. Google video capture devices and look for something that allows connection of composite, component and dv device outputs and inputs to your pc via firewire and you wil be A LOT happier with the result.

Finally, remember that some tv signals from cable or sat look great on the telly but may have proprietary encryption to protect it from being copied so you may not be able to do much with that content without processing it with methods that and alas are not allowed for discussion on this particular forum.
    goodluck

Default Thanks

Hi Imjay
    Many thanks for replying.
    Everything I got was recommended by my local PC shop
    I told them the requirements & left it all to them
    I spent nearly 300 including new recorders.
    I'm after quality of the recording image. That's the most important aspect of this topic.
    Regards
    Frank
    Please feel free to Visit My Website!
    Last edited by Cheekyman; 03-09-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Hi
    First just remember that I did a quick Google re the make and model of the capture device you posted so based on your reply I looked at the hauppauge.uk site and the USB Live WinTV based product should have only set you back by maybe 40 pounds so not sure what you spent the other 260 on.

Does your PC have a built-in firewire input port? Firewire is pretty much universally accepted as best connection for video to pc transfer. USB is okay for analog video but for dv firewire is a must.

I use an internal video capture card with an external dongle (I/O Buss) for capture.

ADS Pyro makes a nice looking external capture module with firewire connection to the PC and includes Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 with a price of about 90 pounds. Avid makes okay stuff in their Liquid line but probably more than you care to spend.

I'll look up a few others that are less costly and post them here. You need something that will accept dv, s-video and composite with a firewire connection to the pc - IMO

The other 260 was a new VHS recorder Combi with DVD copying RW device!!!!!
    That isn't that great either.
    Anyway getting back to this topic You are saying you would recommend a video capturing card? Whats a dongle (I/O Buss)? And I'm fed up of buying useless junk!!
    Regards
    Cheekyman (Frank)

Okay - I just re-read your first post and realized you might be trying to copy Silver Surfer the motion picture. If so then your problem (besides the device and software you're trying to use) is the Silver Surfer movie files are encrypted to prevent being copied and fixing that particular problem can't be discussed at this particular forum.

Back to you last question an internal PC video card is installed inside the PC into a PCI slot(older motherboard type) or PCIE (newer motherboard type). The card will have it's own built in image processor and on-board RAM with an external I(input)/O(output) adapter (dongle) that is used to connect various video devices to the video card.

You don't really need an internal card to import very good video. Most any external PC device will probably do so long as it accepts firewire (for dv), S-Video and composite and connects to the computer via a firewire port.

Hope this helps and excuse for not recognizing you were trying to import and copy a commercial movie. Not hard to do and there are multiple websites/forums that get into that stuff but not allowed at this one.
    goodluck