Thread: Premiere Elements broke video playback - can't fix it

Exclamation Premiere Elements broke video playback - can't fix it

Some time ago, I had problems rendering a rather long film that I had edited together in Premiere Elements 4.0 to DVD. After advice from the official Premiere Elements user-to-user forums, and a huge number of failed attempts, I tried to break it into halves, and let the first half it render overnight. When I came back to it, the computer had hard-crashed, and needed to be reset using the reset button.

Since then, I have been completely unable to play most video formats, including AVI, MPEG and WMV. I did try to ask at the official forum what the problem was, but nobody responded. I had not done much about it because I had been busy, and thought that re-installing the codecs would easily fix the problem (which I had not had time to do).

This evening, I re-installed my K-Lite Mega Codec pack only to find that the problem is still there: any attempt to play AVI, MPEG or WMV in Media Player Classic results in the window (of the correct size) being black.
    The sound plays as normal. Streaming video, such as that used on YouTube, and Apple Quicktime formats seem to work, the latter in MPC.

When I try to open a project in Premiere Elements containing video in AVI, there is also no visual output; furthermore, whenever I move the scrubber over any part of the film that contains AVI, the system error noise is played repeatedly for every frame, likewise if I play it. Oddly, I also see in the taskbar a window that says "Trial version expired". Clicking on it does not actually bring up a window. In task manager, the name of the application is "Trial version expired". Closing it closes Premiere Elements. I am not using a trial version of Premiere Elements: mine came in a box and was bought from a shop. The window comes up whenever I load the project containing the AVI files. I am not aware of having any trial versions of codecs.

I have no idea how to go about fixing this really very serious problem, caused by Premiere Elements - does anyone here have any ideas?

First thing I'd try is a repair installation of Premiere Elements. If you double-click on the PE entry in Control Panel->Add/Remove programs, you should get a "repair" option as well as a "remove" option.

If that doesn't fix it, uninstall PE and see if the problem goes away. Then reinstall it.

If you're still stuck, one further thing to try is the freeware program GSpot. Google it for a download. Try and open one of the file formats that doesn't work in it. In the bottom half of the program is a section called "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests". You should click on the "1" buttons - this will show you what your system is going to try and use to load the video and audio (and also any errors).

Post your results back here.

EDIT: One further thing: It would also be worth posting your problem on the forums at *** Welcome to muvipix.com *** . Lots of experts on PE there -
    Last edited by Andy E; 03-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.