Thread: Editing unedited Wedding DVD + frame edits?

Question Editing unedited Wedding DVD + frame edits?

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and also DV editing in general. I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers regarding video editing?

Here's the setup;
    I have a DVD copy (.vob .ifo and .bup's)of my recent wedding. I asked for it to be unedited as I'd like to have a go myself.
    I have a video of the kids that I made in Windows Movie Maker with a soundtrack overlay and title screens, which is made up from 4 years worth of phone video clips - this is currently the extent of my editing wizardry!
    I have Photoshop CS2 and I use Super C for all video conversions. Movie Maker is the only video editing app I currently have although I hear Adobe Premiere is very good and has full capabilities until the free trial period expires?
    The .vob file size is 536MB.

The aim;
    The opening scene is a slow pan of the beach (is a beach wedding) but unfortunately there is a droplet of water on the lens. Can this be edited out frame by frame and could this be done in photoshop? Not sure if editing to this extent is possible?
    I'd like to keep the existing quality and resolution of the video so I can re-burn as a dvd when edited. The editing work will simply be overlay of a soundtrack, clip cuts here and there, inclusion of titles most likely at either end and inclusion of some wedding pictures which are in jpg format. A good range of transition effects is preferential. The next part depends entirely on the editing software - will I need to convert the .vob file into another type for the editing work, and if so what is the best type to convert to to preserve the video as close to the original as possible?

Your advice is very much appreciated
    Thanks,
    KAO

Too bad you didn't get what you asked for from the videographer. My definition of RAW would have been the total output from whatever camcorder (hopefully more than one or they weren't pros) on dvd data discs.

Now that they have been converted to DVD vob files you have already suffered some visual image quality loss and now you will have to rip them back to the vob base file type which for standard definition is mpeg2.

Did this videographer agree to provide you with raw video? If so, go back and ask for it. If shot with miniDV camcorders then base raw file type should be avi and each hour of video around 13 gig of file size. Consequently they will either have to do simple edits to "chop" it up into disc sized segments OR you can provide them an external harddrive for them to write all the raw images onto.

Anything less starts you off with much less quality than they began with.

Also, if videographer was true professional level provider the disc may have copy protection encryption and defeating encryption is not allowed at this forum. In an earlier decade I shot about 350 weddings for folks using three to five cameras and I chose not to copy protect my work but if I was in the business today I probably would.

So far as frame by frame attempt to remove a water drop that was on the camera lens it's possible I am sure but what a pain in the butt. Can you go back to the site and shoot your own beach pan shot? Or replace with a good still picture from the wedding still photographer? Did the videographer have other cameras going that might have a better shot? Remember that a live event shoot is exactly that and unforseen things happen that are just part of the documentary.

Okay - now that I've rambled all that summary answer to your question is:
    1. You were not given raw and unprocessed unedited video from you wedding.
    2.Vob files must be unencrypted for you to work with them.
    3.Can't tell you how to do that at this forum.
    4.If vob not encrypted you can open them in consumer level programs like ULead video studio version 10 or later and the program will open them for editing.
    5.You can also use a file transcode program - try mediacoder - free and online to change the vob back to its' base mpeg2 file type which is very friendly to editing software. You could transcode out to full avi sized file but I doubt you would gain any quality - mpeg2 is only mpeg2.
    6.I would go to the person who shot the video and ask him/her to keep their commitment to you and give you raw files or see if you can pay to get the raw tapes. If raw files are avi then give them an external hard drive to write them to for you to use.

Sorry to rattle on so - interesting questions - keep us posted.

Hi Imjay,

Wow, that you for your reply - it's very informative.
    Regarding the raw data, it's kind of a grey area as I asked for the 'unedited DVD' as opposed to the edited type. Seeing as DVD was stipulated it doesn't indicate that I would be expecting the raw data. Also as I am at beginner level of this field I wasn't aware that there was a 'RAW' avi filetype as such. I was under the impression that DVD was the best quality .

Two options regarding the above - I could contact the videographer to ask for the raw files if they are still available, or accept the current quality level. It does play fine on the DVD player (on TV) so if I were to convert to mpg, edit and revert to .vob would the quality be noticably less?

Regarding going back to the videographer (in person), unfortunately this isn't an option. We went to St Thomas USVI as part of a cruise but are now back in the UK. Still - I have contact details so can get in touch about the raw files.

There are no copyright/encryption issues with the DVD. The Photographer and Videographer are a husband and wife team and have provided the files with a full copyright release. I believe this is their standard setup as ordering copies/enlargements etc from overseas would be a real headache for them. Unfortunately there was just one camera, although I must admit I didn't expect any different as they only do short services at different locations around the island.
    I do have a number of stills which I'm planning to include in the video, but none of just the beach. I'd really love to keep the intro beach panning shot so however long it takes me to edit the water droplet is irrelevant as long as I get the result I'm after. I decided to bite the bullet (Not sure if that's just a Brit saying?) and download Adobe Premiere the other night and it's quite impressive. Can this be used to edit out the droplet? I haven't got too much into the technicalities of it just yet. I also have photoshop so if Premiere can only produce the still frames I can use Photoshop to do the rest.

I'm going to get onto the Videographer straight away to see if they still have the raw video files, but any further advice in the meantime is very gratefully received!

Thanks again,

KAO

Hi
    Gotta say up front that there are much smarter Members of this forum when the issue is real bit level editing stuff like removing some small part of video frames.

I do okay with the basics like simple color correction or transitions or effects and synching video to sound but beyond that I'm not the chap that can help you.

When you engage with the videographer ask what format the camera was using to capture - dv or mpeg or whatever type/image resolution or quality.

I believe that every time you process a video file there will be some effect but it might not be enough to be visible to a viewer.

Let's assume your wedding was shot with a miniDV camcorder.

Okay, your videographer transferred that dv video to a PC probably as a large avi type file and then did the editing and when finished rendered the project out as as mpeg2 file (mpeg2 is the base file type for dvd creation) and then authored it as a dvd which was another processing of your video to vob in the disc's TS folder so the original video was processed three times so far.

Now you want to rip or transcode your video back to a format supported by the editing program which would be mpeg2. Now you want to re-edit and add some effects and music and whatever and then render it out again and then final transcode to vob for burnning to a dvd disc which processes the video three more times.

That's a lot of processing of your images but with good quality software and processor you probably won't see a visible degradation of the images HOWEVER it would be really great if they could send you the video files however they originally came from the camera.

Adobe Premiere is a great application but I would recommend something a bit less complicated to master like the Adobe consumer software - or Pinnacle or ULead Video Studio - all have free download trials.

Since you are going to do editing then if you are game to try I would suggest you storyboard out some additions for your wedding dvd that might be fun for future generations (and fun for you to attempt).

Suggestions
    1. Personal Intro of Bride and Groom - you can take still pictures from time you were babies and from different ages growing up of each of you. Older pics can be scanned as jpegs. You can drop these pics into the video editing time line and then add narration or just add music.
    2. Bride and Groom interviews - this can be fun. Have someone make up a list of questions that neither you or bride know of in advance - questions like How did you meet? What did you think of him/her at first meeting? How long did you date? What did your parents and friends think of him/her? When did you know that he/she was your own chosen mate? How was the proposal done - something traditional or unusual? Perhaps they could ask for any funny incidents that happened during the courtship.

This little sequence can be added after the life pictorial and before the actual ceremony and it's a nice little touch.

Also, after the ceremony you can consider additives to the end. One is to take still pictures and little candid video (if you shot any) of your honeymoon and mix the stills and video together as a Honeymoon Montage which you set to the music of your favorite romantic song.

Romantic stroll - I used to do this and it was well received. I would take the couple to a very picture friendly location - the beach or a park - and then have them do what I called a "Romantic Stroll" and shoot them walking hand in hand, pausing and turning to one another with perhaps a light brushing of the lips and stand by a big tree looking into each other's eyes and whatever else I could think up and usually end it in them hugging or holding hands and twirling around which twirling I would shoot from the ground and different side angles and maybe downward from a perch and the finished twirl would stard real time and kick into slow motion showing all angles and then to a simple effect like posterization and as song fades twirl slows to a freeze.

WOW - how I do rattle on - sorry - but if you and your beloved get creative there are very SIMPLE segments you can conceptualize and then storyboard (plan out) and shoot - maybe with help of friends and edit onto the beginning and end of your tape. Think of your wedding video as not only for now but as a fun documentary for your great-grandchildren to marvel over.
    goodluck
    ask any questions you care to.
    Jim

Hey Jim,

Your suggestions have definitely given me food for thought! Now you mention it I can see more clearly how the storyboard will pan out - the photographer did get us to do the romantic stroll along the beach, twirl, bend-back kiss etc. I thought at the time it was just for the stills but the footage for this is all on the DVD. Now thinking of creative ways to use them. There's a nice scene of us drinking champagne and writing hearts in the sand too.
    Hadn't thought about using past pictures or doing additional chat-with-the-bride/groom but you've now opened a new door in my mind!
    I have some footage of travelling to and from the location that can be included too. Yet to find the right soundtrack for it but I think it's going to have to be a long one!

I've been looking at Canon's site as I do remember the camcorder being a Canon - and I'm pretty sure this gadget here is either the same as used or very close. It's definitely this series, just don't know about model numbers;
    Product Demo - XL H1

Tingling with excitement! If we can't get the original files it won't be a huge setback since you mention the quality degradation should be minimal, but it would be nice to work with the raw stuff .

Any other suggestions you may have for the storyboard are very welcome. As an ex-pro your knowledge of what goes down well and what doesn't is far greater than my opinion alone. Thanks again,

KAO

Quick note - You call it 'rattling on' but I call it an informative response
    I appreciate that your taking the time to add detail to your replies and to provide suggestions and examples. All too often on forums you get a one line reply which doesn't quite cover it if you get my drift!

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to share that you found answers and value at this forum. Please keep us posted!

You can fix the water drops in PS:cs3, But it will take a lot of work (25 f's in PAL, 30 in NTSC) It would depend on how long the water drops are on the screen, 2min of footage would be 3000 seprate frames to edit. If thats the rout you would like to take I can put up a quick tutorial on it.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Hi CP,
    Thanks for your reply. If you could give me a quick run through of how to edit the frames I would very much appreciate it. Getting the scene into frames and into jpgs is the bit I have no idea about. I'm pretty familiar with using photoshop to do the actual edit, but I have CS2 not CS3 - is it a CS3-specific job or will my version be ok?
    Would you personally edit using the clone tool/scratch repair or do you have a more technical means?
    The scene itself is about 15-20 seconds I think, so shouldn't be too bad

Thanks in advance,

KAO