Thread: Need an effect created

Default Need an effect created

Hello, I don't know if this is the right area, if not I'm sorry, send me to the correct spot. I would like an effect created. I am making a video of my daughter and other small kids racing 4 wheelers. I would like to have the child standing in front of the camera, or maybe running toward the camera, and here is were the effect takes place, they transform into a 4 wheeler. Just like on the movie "transformers". I would like to have 2 or 3 predetermined 4 wheelers I can pick, and I can change the colors and numbers on the number plates. Kind of like on a Playstation when your picking your bike. This software may be already out there, I don't know. I would be very grateful for any help in this, and willing to pay if someone knows how to do this or willing to teach me. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

I think there are lots of morphing apps available that are straightforward to use.

If you plan to animate these '4 wheelers' in your video, then you will need a 3d modelling app such as 3D Studio Max or Maya, you need to build your models in the app, rig it with a skeleton and then animate the skeleton using keyframes. That's a lot of work to say the least and more so if you have never used a 3D app before and then use an alpha channel to composite it into the video (background plate).

Thank you for the replies. I am very new to video editing. Matter of fact I'm so new I'm still using pinnacle studio 11. I have premiere pro but not good enough to use it yet. So as far as 3d animation, thats a little out of my understanding right now. However , I am ready to learn. Hence the statement about paying someone to do this for me, or teaching me how. Mark, you said there is morphing stuff out there, is it a general software or does it look just like the transformer stuff. And for a little more info about the video, what I had in mind was at the begining of the video, it will show each child that will be racing. Each child will be standing there in their helmet, uniform, and protective gear ( which by the way makes them look alot like a transformer. lol), then he or she will transform into a 4 wheeler. The 4 wheeler will not be moving or anything, it will just be sitting there. Then the scene will cut to the next child, then they will transform, so on and so on.... Sorry for being so generic and cloudy on this but I'm really new and still trying to learn the terms and phrases of video editing. Again thanks so much in advance for the advice and let me know if anyone wants the pay to do this or teach me this for pinnacle or pp.
    Mark and Niko, does this studio Max and Maya sound like what I need to do this? and if it is , is there training videos that show me how in case I can find no one else to do it?
    Last edited by dirttrack86; 03-09-2008 at 12:35 AM.

Blog Entries

From the sound of your requirement and your level of experience I think Mark's suggestion of a morphing app is totally suitable. And Keep It Simple Stupid applies. I'd do it with stills (remember, while the morph section is showing, your audience aren't going to looking at whether the background is moving or not)
    So we have....
    Video of child arriving in frame in gear
    Snaphot of the very END of this clip
    (morphing vid to be created)
    Snaphot from the very beginning of the next clip which is....
    The vehicle (Sitting there, but could then drive off)

I suggest video before and after as this will look more impressive than just stills before and after.

Software - for starters look at WinMorph from debugmode. It's FREE and the video tutorials are great to get you going.

Let us know how you get on. (And a great idea BTW, it's given me some inspiration for my next feature starring my 3yo daughter)
    Tim

Thank you guys, a ton. I will start checking out the software everyone suggested. If you have any other suggestions or ideas please let me know. And I'm sure this will take me forever since I'm so green, so if anyone wants to try this project for some dough, just give me a shout. Again, THANK YOU guys for heading me in the right direction.

I believe the KISS stands for Keep It Supremely Simple not Stupid as someone could be offended by using that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I believe the KISS stands for Keep It Supremely Simple not Stupid as someone could be offended by using that.
    I've heard the phrase many times and only ever as I posted. I don't think offense is implied as it is usually used directed to oneself/ones own team. My guess is I came across the phrase before it became watered down. But the principle is the same and no offense is ever implied. My apologies if I have offended anyone.

Whilst hardly gospel, Wikipedia seems to agree with me.

"The KISS principle (acronym for "Keep It Simple, Stupid") states that design simplicity should be a key goal and unnecessary complexity avoided. It serves as a useful principle in a wide array of disciplines, such as software development, animation, engineering, and strategic planning. Common variants of the acronym include: "Keep It Sweet & Simple", and "Keep It Short & Simple". The form "Keep It Simple, Silly" is sometimes used in situations (for example, explaining the phrase to children) where "stupid" may be perceived as being too harsh.

Complexity should be avoided—simplicity is a goal in itself. Extra features are not needed; an approach that seems "too easy to be true" is in fact the best way. A very straightforward approach may seem less glamorous and less dramatic, but the trivial approach should indeed be taken. Surprisingly, the very obvious approach is often the best."

KISS principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tim