Thread: Getting Audio from CD onto Premier

Default Getting Audio from CD onto Premier

Mmkay, my gf's a cheerleader, and I offered to help her out with her music for her upcoming competition. I have to mix the music together, from different tracks on one of her cd's. The only issue I have is... how the hell do I get the music from her cd onto premier?! Any help on this would really save my ass lol.

Blog Entries

Rip the muisc from your CD to either WAV or MP3 first. There are loads of apps, but try freerip as my tip:

http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml

Then import these into Premiere.

Want a guide too? I can oblige...

http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/mp3.html

And if you're using Premiere Pro you'll be using Windows XP and this comes with Windows media Player which can be used to rip CDs to your HDD. Can't vouch for it being as good as Marc's suggestion, but it's free and chances are you already have it.

Blog Entries

Does it "do" MP3? I've a feeling it'll be WMA only without a plugin. Does Premiere support WMA?

You can 'tweak' it to produce MP3 as well with a simple registry change rather than buy a plugin.

I did it on my old rig. Just wish I could remember it for my new rig. Hadn't thought about it till now so will have a dig for the reg change just as soon as I remember to whilst at home.

Alternatively, if you have a copy of Adobe Audition you can use that to rip CDs.

ha ha! Found it!

Have a read of this to see how to enable MP3 ripping in WMP. I knew I had it somewhere I guess I need to check whether it still works in v9 though.

Apologies to anyone who's been out a bought a plugin to do this.

***** UPDATE *****
    I can confirm that the registry change described in the link above works for WMP v9 running under XP SP1. Or at least it works for me

Thanks guys. I figured I had to rip the CD but I just wasn't really sure how. I think I'll try Marc's way first, I have V9 for Windows Media too, and I think Premier does support WMA's.

Quote Originally Posted by SovXietday
    I think I'll try Marc's way first, I have V9 for Windows Media too, and I think Premier does support WMA's.

???????

You're going to install freeware full of ads (from the pic in Marc's tutorial) and risk the chances of spyware rather than use an app you already have installed????? Curious!

Havign said that..

Marc, possibly the 'activate MP3 ripping in WMP' tweak could be incorporated into your tutorial?

Meh, I'm not worried really. I don't have XP so I don't think I have any other choice really, plus, it's an old computer, and I have enough spyware/adware removers to fill up half my harddrive lol. Not literally of course.

Ah, that explains things a bit.

You're using an older version of Premiere then eh? 6.5?

Be carefull to mention version numbers as most people here will assume at least Premier Pro v1 and Windows XP nowadays, when you say Premiere, unless you say otherwise.

And on a related note, ripping the soundtrack from a DVD (movie) disk (excellent for getting sound effects) is a breeze using DVD Audio Ripper. Have a look at http://www.imtoo.com/ .

I don't work for them or anything, but I've had a play and thought it was a good tool.