Thread: A question on pricing methods.

Default A question on pricing methods.

My new beat friend Mark asked this question in another forum and I don't have an answer for him. I say new beat friend because his work has more style than I can ever dream of having. He turns wedding video's into something even I want to watch ...and I did. Maybe he will join the forum... help us out. Rick

From Mark
    We have produced some commercials but have found it difficult to find the standard pricing for commercial shooting. We have seen some figures on the internet, but was wondering if anyone had a good system for pricing a commercial to a client. I understand their are many factors to this, example, type of media filmed on, talent, multiple scenes, etc. but, does anyone have a good system for this when you are discussing pricing with a client?
    Mark Harrell
    Valdosta, Ga
    Affinity Media Productions
    Affinity Media Productions - Valdosta, Georgia

I cant help with the pricing but what is the other forum?

Blog Entries

At the risk of sounding a bit unfriendly...

This question has been answered many, many times on this forum, links to union rates have been published and hourly fees discussed ad infinitum. It's not that "we" don't want to answer questions, quite the opposite, but I'm sure that a lot of regulars are getting tired answering the same "pricing" question time after time.

I can recommend the book "Basics of the Video Production Diary" by Des Lyver which really will give you a step by step guide to costing, or a quick look through this section will show many different answers to the question.

Blog Entries

Indeed - aim high.

Default True but not true.

I did look at the union card and it does give Union Rates and the books are all written by successful authors written for hopeful wannabes like me. But this guy was looking for real answers from real people. He has dumped alot of money into the business and if you price to the going price offered on the web, you will go out of business.

My case and I am just a hobbyist:

Two Cameras cheap out dated JVC GHD1's the price $2,000.00.
    Two Manfetto Tripods (Cheap ones) the price $ 600.00.
    Shotgun Mics, onboard lights, bags, tags, ect. easily $1,000.00

Than you have to edit and publish the product.
    Software, computers, websites I would say about $3,000.00

And let us not forget the cost of your time.
    Weekends are overtime at my regular job, so that is $30.00 an hour I lose to do what I like doing. Than there is the editing time and the publishing process and materials used. (DVD's/tapes) Another 20hrs? $4,000.00 yearly?

So, it would be my guess, that if the market in your area is like mine ($500,00 a wedding or event), a new person starting from scratch, without a storefront or employees who wishes to do this part time, has to do 20 events a year to pay for his time and equiptment. That does not include the tax man, but in this business who tells him anything.

I know it has been done and done. But people in this business price with their heart and not their head. They hurt you professionals and themselves by working for nothing. They also diminish their ability by not being to upgrade their equitment and software.

G, There is no other Forum, but this Forum.

Thanks for the attitude, I would not feel at home without it. Compared to being in a room with my wife, this place is absolutly lovely. Rick

Blog Entries

The worst thing you can do is underprice yourself.

We're not anti-amateur or against semi-pros on this forum, the opposite in fact.
    The temptation is to go in cheap because you want the job. It may be that you're doing it more for fun than for money but, here's the strangest thing, the cheaper you are, the worse you'll be treated. Contrary to what you may assume, people aren't grateful that you're doing the job for next to nothing. If you get paid peanuts, you'll be treated like a monkey.

So, if you want to enjoy your work, insist on high prices, you'll be well treated and can afford to spend the exra on renting equipment to do a better job.