Thread: Double layer DVD?

Default Double layer DVD?

I don't know if I'm even using the right term, but I'm trying to make my first video, from a DVD I recorded a float trip on. When I play it through, it will play one set of footage ("footage A") then if I back up, it will cut into a seperate set of footage ("footage b?") that wasn't played the first time through. It's like it recorded one layer on top of another, but I can't find a way to separate them and get both, in sequential order of how the events were recorded?

I'm using Movie Maker, that was the only thing I knew that was on my computer that I could use for video editing.... Any advice here? I'm at a loss!

N. florida

Other posters may not but I need a little more info to be sure I understand.

You recorded a dvd on a float trip - does that mean you used a camcorder that records directly to a disc instead of to tape or a hard drive?

If so, then you transferred your dvd camcorder files to your hard drive for editing in MovieMaker??

What make and model camcorder?

Just need a bit more information to know what type of video files you started with and what you've done to get to where you are now.

Hi! Sorry about being vague, here are the details:

I recorded directly to one of those mini DVD's. It says DVD-Ram on the disc, and that's all I can tell about the disc, other than it is gold. :(

The camera is a Hitachi, DVD Cam Model # is DZ-MV730A

And what I did was finalize the disc on the camera. Then put the disc in my laptop, drag it onto my hard drive, change the filename to mpg which allowed me to view it at all.

And then that's when the weird double sets of footage thing happened. I would really appreciate your help in trying to figure this out! I am such an inept novice at this, but I would like to get it to work. :P

N. florida

Still not the bright bulb in this thread.

1. Play the video in your camcorder and use a cable or adapter and software to capture that video onto your hard drive. You can probably set capture settings so it will capture as mpeg file ready for editing or burning to a dvd disc. You camcorder probably has a S-video or composite output.

2. I guess your finalized dvd has vob viles within a TS video folder. Vob is a gyration of mpeg2.

So if your disc is finalized I believe you need to copy it to your hard drive and then truly transcode it back to basic mpeg file format. Just changing the file extension won't do it.

So first transfer the video from your camcorder disc to a folder on your hard drive and then use one of the many free transcode programs to transcode it back to basic mpeg.

Without researching your camcorder I doubt it is recording to a dual layer mini-dvd disc so if captured okay to your harddrive it should play completely and with all scenes.

My experience is that you can't change the file by just changing the file extension. To make a vob into a mpeg a process has to occur - like ripping or transcoding.

Do a search for file transcoding utilities.

I like a free program called mediacoder. Recommended on the Kim Kommando site it will one-step transcode one file type into another. Try it.

ULead video studio will also open dvd vob files and change them to allow editing and rendering and they have a free trial program available as a download.
    goodluck - hope above is clear and helpful.

General #0
    Complete name : E:\DVD_RTAV\VR_MOVIE.VRO
    Format : MPEG-2 Program
    Format/Family : MPEG-2
    File size : 727 MiB
    PlayTime : 3mn 18s
    Bit rate : 31 Mbps
    Video #0
    Codec : MPEG-2 Video
    Codec/Family : MPEG-V
    Codec profile : Main@Main
    Codec settings, Matrix : Standard
    PlayTime : 3mn 18s
    Bit rate mode : CBR
    Bit rate : 28 Mbps
    Nominal bit rate : 5744 Kbps
    Width : 704 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display Aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Chroma : 4:2:0
    Interlacement : Top Field First
    Audio #0
    Codec : AC3
    Bit rate mode : CBR
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48 KHz

Although I admittedly am not familiar with the video editing process whatsoever, I thought that the above information might be helpful. I got this from the MediaCoder program I just downloaded.

The interesting thing is, I am fairly certain 3 min and 18 seconds is the "full" length of the mpeg that I watched after renaming the file extension. However, that still included the double footage issue. In other words, it would play completely through, yet more footage was still available overlapping the 3 minutes and 18 seconds.

Is it possible the file is just corrupt for some reason?