Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting the computer to a VCR - record computer gaming

Default Connecting the computer to a VCR - record computer gaming

Hello everybody!
    I play computer games online, and I want to create my own movie. Some games has built-in a demo/replay-recording, which can be used to be captured into BMPs and so on. But the game I lpay(BF1942) does not support any of this..
    Therefore I need to connect my computer to a VCR to record the action!
    What do I need to connect it hardware/software/caples etc?
    I'm intending to record while i play, would the performance somehow be reduced?
    How will the quality on the tapes be? The vcr is 6 years old (works perfectly) But my graphic card is over 2 years old (but works fine)

Later on, after a month or so, I am going to search through all of the material, and then transfere it over to my compuet for editing.

I thank everybody in advance for posting comments and other helpful replies!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Connecting the computer to a VCR - record computer gamin

Quote Originally Posted by RasCzaK
    I'm intending to record while i play, would the performance somehow be reduced?
    No, essentially what you'll do is use your TV as a monitor. I find playing games on a TV sceen is actually better anyhow as it gives it that console/arcade feel. For a quickstart guide to outputing a signal to your TV, check here.

You don't strictly speaking need TV tool, or indeed play solely via the TV screen. As long as you have an s-video out on your PC, connect this to your VCR (along with the sound from the audio out of your soundcard), then connect the VCR to the video to view what you're playing . You'll probably need an S-video to scart lead, and set the video to the AV channel (rather like connecting any other external source to a VCR such as a digibox).

Once all is connected, go to Display in the control panel, click settings, then you should have the option (either here or in advanced) of mirroring the two displays, or choosing to output to the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by RasCzaK
    Does this sound like a makeable idea?
    Yes

Thank you for a really great reply there!

The plan was to play with my computer monitor, and just let the VCR record everything I do on my screen.
    I also want the sound on the tape, but still be able to hear what is happening through my headset. How do I do that? Can I somehow split the signal?

Does anybody know how the quality on the tape will be? Does it get as good at seen on the screen?
    I will import much of the material from the tapes into my computer, is there any loss in quality, and if there is, which programs should I use to tune the signal etc?

Big thanks to Marc Peters, and everybody who intend to write an reply!

Blog Entries

I also want the sound on the tape, but still be able to hear what is happening through my headset. How do I do that? Can I somehow split the signal?
    You can buy a 3.5mm jack convertor. It will split the audio output into two. Check out your local electrical retalier

The plan was to play with my computer monitor, and just let the VCR record everything I do on my screen.
    Then hook up the video out on your graphics card to the AV in of your VCR, then select the dual monitor (mirror) display in the Display settings of control panel. Note: the game "may" be seen as a video overlay... meaning you can only see it on one display at a time.

Does anybody know how the quality on the tape will be? Does it get as good at seen on the screen?
    I will import much of the material from the tapes into my computer, is there any loss in quality, and if there is, which programs should I use to tune the signal etc?
    Exactly the same as any other VHS recording from TV

However, if you have a decent PC, why not use FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/download.htm) and simply record the action straight to your harddrive?

Big thanks to Marc Peters, and everybody who intend to write an reply!
    No problem Why not make a video out of your recordings and enter in the competition?

hehe :P maybe
    But how long is it left of the competition?
    I don't have very much experience in moviemaking, but I do have digital DV-camcorder, which I have been making movies with since 2000 (with pinnacle). And enjoy making films. Maybe, if the results of my movie is good, then I may attend at the competition

In a couple of years I'm planning to build a HTPC to use as a "TV/entertainment"-box, which also is an interesting subject!

Thanks again, your have been very helpful!

Blog Entries

You can register anytime upto 15 October (better to register early so that you get your music download to play with), then submit your video by the 15 November.

Hello again!

I have now bought the required eqiupment, but I have encountered a few issues;
    First of all, the cable I bought is an *scart(in/out) - - 2 RCA + SVHS*. And first, I couldn't detect any other devices than my computer CRT, and when I looked closer to the package of the cable, it stood SVHS, as mentioned above, but when I called the store, they told me that S-VHS is the same as S-VIDEO, so I relay on that for now.
    But still I can't detect any other devices (I have plugged the SVHS(S-video?) to the AGP, and the scart to the VHS/TV), Neither of them work. I downloaded TVtool, but that doesn't work either... I have only plugged the S-VHS plug into the videocard, and so the RCAs are just hanging.
    My videocard is old, but I don't think it's too old for this.

I've tried scanning. Nothing happens - and I tried to force scanning at the startup.
    In the control panel for the monitor, I klick myself into the nVidia Display Mode, where you select which device to use, but I can only choose single, and when I try using single with TV, nothing happens...
    the cause of all this may be my lack of experience, but could also be lack of power, as in video card -which I doubt. But can anyone help me out here?
    For faster comunication, mail is alternate, but for the sake of this forum, I don't min at all to comunicate through here...

I thank everybody in advance for help and/or corrections ! [/u]

Blog Entries

Hook up the s-video to both your video/tv and your PC, reboot and retry.

I don't have S-VIDEO on neither VCR or TV, that is why I use the scart.
    Now, I dont know quite if I misunderstand you or something, but anyway; the cable I use looks like this:

"A S-VIDEO and two audio-plugs leads down to a scart. I connect the S-Video to my computer, and the scart to my TV/VCR"

I cant detect the TV.
    However I will try it out some more tomorrow, and post my progress

Well, now I have tested out all the possible settings etc in TVtool and in the monitor properties, but I can't get contact with the TV monitor. I noticed the E1-channel (Which the scart is connected to) showed a signal when I starterd TVtool, and I can see the image "pop" when I change certain settings in TVtool. But the signal is flimmery and disturbed.

What do I do here? Is there any tune-programs that let me tune it in?

No matter what I do, I can't get contact with the TV (Yhe secondary device-field in TVtool is grey, and the primary is active Which is the pc monitor)

Does any one have any experience on this one? Is there any programs I can use?

I use a nVidia geforce3 Ti200, which is 2 1/2 years old. The TV I use is a Nokia television, and is about 5 years old.

I appriciate any help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast