Thread: it is making my head hurt

Unhappy it is making my head hurt

I bought an HP PAVILION Media Center m8300f with Vista premium home edition. It has a Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture card. The sales guy at Best Buy told me all I needed was some editing software to be able to hook my vcr into the pc to be able to edit my home vhs tapes and burn to dvd. I bought Pinnacle Studio 11 ultimate. It just does not work, no matter where I plug the vcr in, composite, rca, coaxial to the tuner card, front of pc or back, nothing. Now the HP people tell me that the card in my machine will not capture analog. What do I need to be able to do this?

thanks for any help.

You need a breakout box (ie. BoB) . If you google it or ebay it you should come up with a lot of choices.
    What is a Breakout Box?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

ok, i now have pinnacle studio 11 ultimate with the 710 usb box. I have managed to get it to work, but...

I can only capture a couple min of video then the software will freeze. The sound keeps capturing but the video will freeze. I have been in a chat with pinnacle for over an hour and have been told to uninstall and reinstall the software, which I did already as I got that from another thread here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would check with the pinnical forums for your specific problem, I hate to burst your bubble but pinnical software is crap. Its about as buggy as it gets and their support staff could care less. A better choice would have been sony vegas studio or premiere elements.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

I would check with the pinnical forums for your specific problem, I hate to burst your bubble but pinnical software is crap. Its about as buggy as it gets and their support staff could care less. A better choice would have been sony vegas studio or premiere elements.
    I respectfully disagree.

But.....their on-line chat support is a waste of time. If you post on the Pinnacle Forum, that is where you would get the most help. The first question they will ask is "What are your computer specs". Studio 11 has some hefty requirements.

Premiere Elements and Sony Vegas are good programs as well, but, Studio is the most intuitive. You've got it now, may as well try and figure out what your problem is. I use the 700 USB for capture and I have no problems. Either it's some silly little thing, or your computer specs might not meet the minimum. But I know you will have lots of people willing to help you on the Pinnacle forum.
    Last edited by Alley; 03-16-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo

well, i have been able to capture using the 710 and pinnacle 7 which i have installed on a dinosaur pc. However it is only usb 1.0 and does not capture the audio, it needs line in plugs. I installed the new software on the old pc and had the same issues as with on the new pc.

I downloaded a trial of sony vegas platinum 8.0 but it always gives me the error " cannot open pinnacle 710 usb".

I have managed to capture a small bit of video, sometimes one or two minutes before it freezes up sometimes a bit more.

I have been through their forums and done all I could find suggested there.

this sux.

You can't use a Pinnacle device to capture in Sony. It will only work with Pinnacle unfortunately.

What are your computer specs? Your video card? How much ram? I know you said you looked around on the Pinnacle board, but did you actually post your problem.

Make a post with the heading "710 USB freezes after 2 min capture" and then make sure you fill in your user profile. Let me know if you have done this, and when you post - and I will personally ask several of the senior people to help you. But you have to be willing to give the information so people can help you.

thanks,

I have posted now, I had not before as most everything I read had the same resolution steps and seemed to be left as open threads without a resolution