Thread: Need help with editing project...

Default Need help with editing project...

I have to do an editing project at uni, totally new to working with video. Anyway, I'm using adobe premiere pro cs3 and i want to rip some footage from some DVDs at the highest possible quality and import it into Premiere for editing. I've so far used DVD shrink to get the 'TS' files but have tried using various programmes such as handbrake and imTOO etc. to encode it into a format that Premiere accepts with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers!

To retain highest quality I wouldn't use DVDShink. Remember that shrink as aptly named was intended for people who wanted to copy encrypted 8gig sized dvds so DVDShrink is a combo of a Decrypter to remove the copy encryption and a compressor to "shrink" a typical 8Gig program to fit on a single layer 4.7Gig disc.

Sounds like what you need is a separate decryption tool without the "shrinking" component since compression at this point in your process will negatively affect image quality and there are several good ones available as free downloads.

Once the encryption is removed then your full sized vob file can be transcoded to whatever file type you need.

One such transcoder is called mediacoder. It's recommended at the Kim Kommando site and, so far, I haven't found a file that it couldn't transcode to whatever I wanted in a single and simple step.

Standard Definition dvd files are a manipulation of mpeg2 so you could try decryption and then transcoding to mpeg2 or you could transcode out to dv or avi file type for highest quality and I am confident that most any common avi file will be recognized and supported by Premiere but and for sure mediacoder will do what you want.

Just remember what you probably already know that encrypted dvd files are that way because someone owns them and doesn't want you or anyone else making copies of them.
    goodluck - if you need info re sites that support the kinds of utilities you seek and have discussion forums post back.

Thanks a lot for your reply but im still not really getting anywhere. I've used DVDshrink to rip a 4gb dvd and i now have a 4gb file on my computer with TS folders and VOB files etc. I have used DGDecode along with VFAPIconv to create a 'fake' AVI that i assume points Premiere to the VOB files.

The video loads up fine in premiere but although the video has NOT been compressed at any stage im still getting this wierd quality reduction. Its like sort of horizontal lines that blur the image especially if there is a lot of motion, seems to be reasonable on static images.

Anyway i took your advice and downloaded MediaCoder which i used to try and convert the VOB files into various formats such as Mpeg2 and Avi without any luck, i just seem to get error messages or it looks like its doing something, then i come back and its stopped and theres no file.

If anyone knows what the cause of those wierd lines even tho i have not compressed the video are then that would really help me out. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again imjay for your advice.

Sorry! Thought you were trying to rip a commercially produced dvd movie and about 99% of those are 8gig total files before shrink does the shrink job.

So far as media coder goes do the file extension drop down menu and select something like dvd player and tell it to go and you should get a mpeg file that ANY editing program will recognize and support.

Bad thing about mediacoder is I haven't found a simple how-to-use download but the good news is the FAQs and Forums answered any questions I had at first in a quick heartbeat.
    goodluck