Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Music Video Ideas Wanted

Default Real Music Video Ideas Wanted

I have been given a shot at creating a music video for an upcoming local CD release. At this point the band has not given me any direction or even a copy of the lyrics but I am trying to get as ahead of the game as I can so I am ready when they do.

What would be awsome from the community here is if I could get any ideas for camera shots that you have had but may not ever get to. I have logged about thirty on my own so far and any ideas would be appreciated.

Example: Long alley with band members placed about 100 meters apart. Film distant shot of first band member (no others in view) Band member on left side of alley - move from far shot to tight to face - then once face completely framed move to right and continue on forwards to next band member who is on the right side of the alley and repeat only showing one member at a time. Members don't move during filming. Then the footage could be sped up or slowed down as needed

I bet there are some great directing ideas out there
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

Depend who the band is really doesn't it?

For example, if it's Westlife then I vote either the 'roadrunner shot' of an anvil (or safe) dropping on their collective heads or alternatively, the 'red hot poker up the Jacksey' shot

Just ask if you want more Westlife shots

Blog Entries

Didn't tongachutt shoot a music video. Anyone seen him on the forums lately?

Default ok

I agree it would seem to matter - but I am not really talking about themes so much as footage that would fit in any video - really camera pans, images band doing cool things - let's face it really in most videos even though we may not want to admit it are pretty much "insert band here" stock footage - at least for the A reel of band footage

I would do the classic "poker up the jacksey shot" - but it seems all my work includes those and sooner or later I know it's hard to believe but you tire of it.

Alright I had better tell the truth - I wont be including more than one red hot poker shot... two no more than two. Allright at least half the video will not involve jackseys or pokers - maybe.

OKay so to recap - does anyone out there have any red hot ideas for at least 20 different ways to insert a hot poker and make it somehow applicable to a music video and not have it look like your own twisted adgenda

damn it Millsey you know me too well already - this will be the last time I post
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

hahah tonga's music video was the "shizzle nizzle"
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Hee hee. I expected to get flamed a bit for havign agiggle it this thread's expense. Thanks for taking it the way it was meant. Your reply made me laugh and has cheered me up this morning at work

Hey guys, I'm still alive...just got a new job so I'm very busy.

That music video I did won a vote on channel-U and is now on their playlist!woot! I@m doing another in a few weeks.

My advice for a bands first few videos is...

Keep it simple, I know its boring but a basic "performance" video is usually best. Why?.. Becuase you really just wanna showcase the band to prospective deal makers (record studios). If the band do get signed there gonna chuck your effort and make a new one with 10000 anyway.

Make the band look good! This is more easily accomplished indoors where you can control the lighting.

Dont worry about a storyline, as soon as you make anything more than a very basic plot youre in danger of not getting the right material to work in the edit.

Dont be precious...try not to get hung up on the idea "originality"... a hackneyed idea will often do the job very well!...after all have you listened to chart music! (I know that music video's can be high art, but thats not whats needed for your clients just yet, if it was they'd have the money for Cunninham/Glazer/Gondry to do it properly.

Enjoy it, working within a creative straightjacket can often sharpen your film-making skills by allowing you to concentrate on the basics!

tonga

ps is "shizzle Nizzle" good or bad Gwennie?

Default Be bold

Hey...
    well done on your job...but ihave to say i completely disagree with you...most music videos suck. there is an argument for doing a simple performance video if you have not honed your skills, and the band request it, but otherwise, the music should be listened to with eyes closed, and let images enter your head, make a video that visually represents the music. I think simplicity is key, but that does not mean doing a safe video.....well, those are my thoughts.....i have taken risks in my work, and they have paid of 90 percent of the time.....the 10 percent is why we have digital.........haha.......
    good luck on your next vid......
    peace

9. Default

Im going to have to agree with wwwdotnet and say that most music videos do suck.
    Lyrics are the most important part of a song for me so I cant see the point in starting without them. I like when a video tells a visual interpretation of the lyrics. I realize some songs dont work well for that sort of thing and that would be when I'd try to make the video represent the music as wwwdotnet stated. The videos I dislike most are ones that try telling a story while interweaving 'filler' shots of the band playing/dancing/singing. Unless their is some kind of connection or purpose for the band filler clips I see it as a lack of creativity on the directors part and very boring. And this seems to be almost every music video made.
    So either I'm on crack or most professional directors are. Hmm... since I have no real experience in this field it seems likely that the former of the two be true, right? Maybe, or is it all a matter of personal taste. I like what I like and you like what you like. And if the band doesn't step up and tell you what they want just do whatever you want.
    However I can see tongachutt point in that if the band is just starting out they might need a performance video to showcase them. But there is still room for creativeity within that frame.
    Anyway those are might thoughts, kind of a ramble and not sure if it even has anything to do with what you were asking but what can you do when your fingers wont stop moving. Ok done.
    much easier with a computer

New job? That post is nearly three years ago! He's probably moved on since then! lol

Did you realise you had ressurected a thread last posted to in August 2004????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast