Thread: DVD Classic x New Ripper = No Way**Help**

Exclamation DVD Classic x New Ripper = No Way**Help**

Newbie Silver Surfer (Please be gentle with me)
    Hi,
    I've decided to backup my DVD & Video collections.
    I'm in the process of copying my video tape collection of 450+!!
    So I thought some of my DVD's
    are out of date I'll transfer them on to HD DVD's.
    I went on the internet to find THE best ripper of 2008 & I found ImTOO Ultimate Ripper so I bought it there & then.
    I then got one of my Classic DVD's "Dirty Harry" to copy to file.
    It failed @ 52% complete

When it told me it was going to take 3hrs to complete I left it running over night.
    Sunday morning I got up & it was stuck @ 52% It said time till completion 4:05:57 4hrs & it was increasing the counting instead of decreasing it
    So I aborted the DVD menu & closed the program.
    I thought this was "The Ultimate" Ripper available??
    This is an old movie I bought years ago surely they are easier to do than the modern ones?
    I haven't tried it on any of my others yet as this film is one of my all time favorites & I need to get this sorted out first.

Regards
    Cheekyman (Frank)

PS: I played back the 52% that was in my output folder.
    Quite impressed. Good quality footage.

Sorry this is a video making forum not a dvd coping forum
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

OOPS!!!
    SORRY
    Regards
    Frank

Thats ok, you might be better off going to the Slysoft forum. There forums are real user-friendly as long as you are truly making backups of legaly owned movies.

I took a look at your website, very nice!
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 03-10-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    Wil

Software Used:

WADR (With All Due Respect) Knowing how to do something ain't doing the "crime" - honestly asked gets honestly answered.

I personally believe that the precedent of "fair use" should apply to commercial dvds and if I'm off rule with a response to you then the content police can let me know. I've seen answers to similar questions at this forum.

VHS tape - old protection was something called MacroVision. It skewed the tape control track (all of those tapes have a control track that tells the video tape player how to play the tape). You didn't see the effect of this process on your tv screen (most of the time) because tvs strip the control info and provide their own video picture control.

Today you can buy what is usually called a Video Stabilizer that will strip old sync and apply new sync to the video output to allow it to be captured without the crap or you can buy at places like Ebay a device called a Time Base Corrector (TBC) which does the same thing. TBCs were a requirement back in the days of tape editing/post production and were VERY expensive back in the day or if you have a high end video/tv monitor with true loop-through the monitor's video output will also have new sync.

DVDs (except for some of the most recently released) can be decrypted and compressed to single layer dvd media size via a program like DVDShrink which is available online as a free download. Requires the Nero burn engine to work.

Remember that the reason old VHS tapes had MacroVision and DVDs are copy encrypted is because the content is owned by someone or some big media corporation and they seriously do not want you or anyone else making copies of their stuff which is quite reasonable since a lot of $$$ was put out by them to create the content. I just sincerely believe that if I have paid them their due by buying their stuff then if I want to make a backup copy to take in my rv or to keep my investment more secure I should be able to do that.
    goodluck

Another informative web location with VERY informative forums is afterdawn.com. Give that one a peek!
    JM

I agree it should be ok to back up your own dvds, but seeing how its illegal to do it atthe moment I will not help someone else do it on these forums "A VIDEO MAKING FORUM" These forums are here for that. Not coping commericial dvds, Thats why I directed him else where. I'm sorry if you don't understand that or don't agree. If other mods feel diffrently thats fine I'll back off. As far as I'm concerned the OP was directed where he could find the correct help
    Wil

Software Used:

Blog Entries

The grey art of DVD copying is best left to other sites. As the owner of the site, I don't really want to be held responsible by legal bodies for the provision of information relating to copy right theft.

I few years ago I was contacted by the BBFC to remove a guide to create age certificate logos. It was a polite request, but they nevertheless found the article and requested I comply with the law.