Thread: Complete noob needs your help!

Red face Complete noob needs your help!

Hey all,

I'm interested in starting a Web-TV show but have absolutely no video editing background...

Unfortunately, I'm also going to need a LAPTOP to do it on...

So any suggestions here would be GREATLY appreciated!

What software is quick and easy to learn, but with decent semi-professional (at least :-P) results?

What specs do I need to run it comfortably? and should i be afraid to raise the dreaded Mac VS. PC argument?

And here's the worst part...whats the best deal for my buck, cause I'm a poor ass university student. And can you guys help me even though I'm in Canada, or are our markets completely different and i"m wasting my time in a UK forum?

You are planning on starting a web tv show? Will you be running this entirely yourself or will others be involved? Have you got a camcorder, a studio (or a room in college to make this show?), lights, microphones, what content are you going to put in the show? Do you have a target audience?

Personally, I think before you start looking at computers and software, is this show do-able? Have you got a service provider and what kind of video file formats will they allow you to upload? I use PC's for my work and if you are only going to put your work on the web then Windows Movie Maker would be fine to start with as you say you have no video editing background. If your show takes off and you become more involved with it, then you can start to look at more complicated software and maybe a higher spec computer.

Red face

Thanks for the reply + tips!

To answer your questions: no. I have none of those I don't want to get a camcorder until I have an idea of what software i'll be using (as I heard lots of horror stories about people finding out they couldn't even upload their video to said software...) So i'm trying to work backwards, find good software and get a quality video camera that is supported by it. Bad idea? Good idea? Its hard to know where to even begin...

Best of all is I have very little money as well

But hey, when you have a dream, you have to take a shot at it or else you'll regret never giving it a try and wonder what could have been, you know?

Windows Movie Maker eh? I was hoping to get away from Windows as I despise Microsoft and hoped i would never have to deal with Vista...but hmm. I'll check it out!

I realize how much of a pipe dream this all sounds like, but I'm a motivated guy and when I put my mind to something it usually gets done so i don't know.

Any other recommendations on how i should start it all? Any criticism is appreciated, even if its just bashing me for being a wannabe dreamer

Download some of the popular software that forum members use (Sony Vegas, Adobe Premier etc). You can go onto most of the sites and find a download link and use the software for 30 days. That should be enough time to find out which one you like best and which one runs with no problems on your computer.

Well it sounds like you are a dreamer alright

Now what would have happend if Martin Luthor King said

I HAVE A DREAM..................eeeerrrrrrrr but I dont wanna talk about it

So have alook at:

EDIUS V4.5
    SONY PD 170 or PD150
    SONY 1170 RM TRIPOD WITH BUILT IN LANC CONTROL

A SENHISER K6 ME66 MIKE WITH A BOOM POLE

A COUPLE OF PHOTON BEAM 300 WATT LIGHTS
    SOME SCRIM AND SOME DAYLIGHT GELS

A BUNCH OF DV TAPES
    AND

A PC RATHER THAN A LAPTOP YOU WILL GET MORE BANG FOR YA MONEY!

Start by NOT doing it live and cut your teeth on producing small segments for YOUtube

Then develop it from there

Good luck and learn to be a scrounger!!!! and ASK ASK ASK ASK for advise from anyone in the industry who will inpart it THEN TEST IT and TEST IT and when you are fed up TEST IT some more.

This routine will hone your skill and judgement

Ebay is great for equipment!

Cath

Just beware about anything you purchase off eBay as there have been numerous horror stories on this forum about dodgy equipment.

Thumbs up I agree

As you are a Novice I agree with the last posting advise on buying from ebay!

Pick up in person if you can and test the gear out AND always pay with Paypal

And with a Credit card, as this gives some protection against the less than perfect traders out their!!