Thread: Best software for editing avi/divx clips

Default Best software for editing avi/divx clips

Hi, Does anyone know the best software for editing a collection of avi files. I want to add fades, wipes, transitions and a bit of slo-motion, and insert a few titles/words. I have used Windows Movie Maker before, but it keeps crashing when I load any DivX files, and it's a pain to have to keep restarting the program.

I'm looking for something similiar to Movie Maker but a bit more stable. I'd be willing to pay if necessary. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Thanks are these full programs with limited usage time, or cut down versions. I'm taking it Video Studio Plus appears to be the best one to download?

I like Video Studio but others have different favorites.

My understanding is trial version is a full version for a limited amount of time.

Remember that many dvd PC drives come bundled with software that includes capture and editing software. Many partner with ULead and have a version of video studio. I did tons of editing and rendering using an older version of Video Studio that came "free" with one of my first dvd burner PC drives.

Remember avi is just a file "container" and the insides vary by other variables like codec. I think same is true for varieties of DivX.

So you may have to process or transcode your avi files to another file type that is more universally supported by various editing programs.

I use a free program called mediacoder.

I know a lot of folk like MovieMaker - I'm just not one of them. Try something more user friendly and more powerful from Pinnacle, Adobe or ULead.
    goodluck

Thanks imjay - well I tried to download the ulead video studio 11 plus, but when I tried to open the file, it said that the executable was corrupted. Think I'll try pinnacle.

P.S. so some of the divx files that are crashing in Windows Movie Maker need to be transcoded using mediacoder, and then they will stop crashing everytime I import in movie maker? Do you have the correct settings for mediacoder to make them universal for movie maker?