Thread: How to automatically import DV tapes into clips by date/timecode?

Default How to automatically import DV tapes into clips by date/timecode?

Hello,

Well the thing is... that my friend has about 60 hours of DV tapes of his children growing up. Now he's finally decided that he wants it on a HDD for easy viewing. He soon found out that importing is very timeconsuming - and frankly he's not the kind of guy that sits there logging and scrolling a timeline - so, he asked if there's a program that while importing automatically divides the one hour material into clips by date? As a videographer I had to admit that I don't know.. as it not part of any normal workflow..

So do you know if there's an editing software or program that lets you insert the tape -> import the whole tape without any attention by the user -> and then resulting with a bunch of separete AVI clips depending on which date they where shot?

My first impression was.. umm.. no, I don't think so - but I thought I'd ask just in case.
    Last edited by eyefuse; 02-28-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Anyone? Is the only way always to log the footage before importing, import manually by pressing rec/stop or taking it all in and then slicing it?

No way to get a program to log automatically by dates on tape? Like with photos.. Sure?

Can't believe no-one's replied to this before but....

... I'm surprised whatever he's using doesn't do this already.

However, try WinDV from WinDV. It's free and can automatically split DV-AVI clips by timecode.